9

MADNESS
— 9. King Aelle

  In Kattegat, Ubbe was walking through when he suddenly stopped

In Kattegat, Ubbe was walking through when he suddenly stopped. He turned his head, immediately locking eyes on Hvitserk kissing Freya as she was pressed against a wooden fence.

Hvitserk was standing in front of Freya, his hands on her waist as they kissed. He slowly pulled away and the duo stared deeply into each other's eyes.

   He stared down at her lips briefly before he looked back into her eyes. The eyes he felt as though were dark hooks for the soul. He felt trapped in them, lost.

His lips parted and he sighed, just before he began to speak up. "I know I shouldn't be saying this but..." He trailed off, chuckling nervously as he shook his head slightly, "Never in my life have I ever met a woman quite like you and I doubt I ever will. When I look at you, I see such beauty," He paused, smiling softly, "But that isn't what has always attracted me to you. It's your confidence, the way that you're afraid of nothing, and do not care what those around you think about you. You are not afraid to speak your mind like most are."

Hvitserk stepped closer to Freya and placed his hand on her cheek, staring down at her with such love in his eyes. "I touch your skin and I feel as though my entire body ignites," He paused, beginning to smile nervously as he removed his hand from her face while Freya began to tense up, "I kiss you and I remember...there hasn't been a time in my life that I remember where I wasn't in love with you. I have always loved you, Freya, and I always will."

He slowly began to lean forward, much to Freya's concern. He pressed his lips against hers and for a brief while, Freya began to kiss back. However, after a moment, she pushed Hvitserk away from her, causing him to stare at her in confusion.

"I'll break your heart, Hvitserk," She reminded in a low tone and Hvitserk shook his head.

"I don't care," He argued and Freya scoffed as he grabbed her hand.

She quickly tugged her hand back, earning a frown from Hvitserk. "I warned you not to fall in love with you and still, you did," She complained as she shook her head in disapproval, "I don't think we should see each other anymore."

Hvitserk's eyes widened in shock and his smile faded. He watched as she turned on her heel, about to walk away. "Freya, wait..." He began to say, on the verge of following after her.

  "Hvitserk! Freya!" A voice suddenly called out, causing them both to stop where they were and turn to see that it had been Ubbe calling out to them.

He gestured for them to come over and Freya sighed, avoiding eye contact with Hvitserk as they both made their way over to Ubbe.

Hvitserk forced a smile onto his face, trying to hide his own disappointment.

"People from Norway, Sweden, even Denmark," Ubbe informed them as he gestured around them, "All to avenge Ragnar."

"Never before in memory has it happened," Hvitserk agreed with his brother as he smiled at the sight.