12

MADNESS
— 12. York

  That night, Freya found herself entering Ivar's tent

That night, Freya found herself entering Ivar's tent. She found him sitting on his bed, his face in his hands. Despite killing his own brother, Freya knew Ivar felt guilty about it. She saw the look on his face when it occurred. He didn't mean to. No one seemed to believe that, though.

  Freya walked over to him and knelt in front of him. She grabbed his hands and held them, leading to Ivar finally bringing himself to look her in the eyes.

"I didn't mean to do it. I swear it," He confessed in a whisper, tears welled in his eyes.

"I know," Freya replied softly as she nodded in understanding.

"I just got so—" He began to say, only to have Freya interrupt him.

"Angry?" She asked him, smiling softly as he nodded, "Trust me, I know the feeling. More than you could know."

Slowly, Freya rose from her kneeling position. She sat beside him and wrapped her arms around him. Ivar leaned his head against her shoulder and closed his eyes. He tried his hardest to contain his sadness, but within no time, he began to softly cry.

Freya moved away from him to lay down and gestured for Ivar to join her. Soon enough, he did so and laid down beside her. She wrapped her arms around him in comfort, pressing a kiss to his forehead before the two of them gradually began to fall asleep.

____

Freya was walking through the camp when she stopped, seeing Ylva on one of the boats on the shore, barking orders to her men. She took a deep breath, trying to hide her uneasiness as she walked over to her mother.

"It seems once again, this is goodbye," Freya spoke up as she walked toward Ylva, smiling sadly, "At least this time, we get a proper one."

Ylva smiled and walked over to Freya, cupping her face in his hands. "No matter what, you will always have me, remember that. I would do anything for you, anything to keep you safe, away from harm."

"I'm not a child anymore," Freya smiled up at her mother, "I'm not your responsibility."

"Freya, you will always be my responsibility, no matter what," She reminded Freya as shook her head.

"I dare say that is what I've always loved most about having you as a mother," Freya confessed in a whisper, "You'll always protect me no matter what. Even if I hate you for it."

"That's what being a mother is," Ylva replied, tears beginning to form in her eyes.

She pulled away from Freya, quick to wipe her tears. She sighed and before she could react, Freya hugged her tightly.

Ylva smiled, immediately hugging her oldest daughter back. "We will see each other soon. I know it."

"That we will," Freya replied softly as she nodded her head.