17

MADNESS
— 17. My Weakness

 The following day, Freya walked up to a man she knew had the occupation of whaling

The following day, Freya walked up to a man she knew had the occupation of whaling. She walked up to him, trying her hardest to maintain composure. The shirtless man was in the middle of tending to his boat when he saw Freya standing there.

"What is your name?" She called out to the man, who immediately walked over to her.
"Hakon," He informed her in a calm tone.

"Are you going whaling? I hear it is common in these parts of Norway," She asked him curiously and he nodded his head.

"I leave tomorrow," He replied, climbing off his boat to stand in front of her.

"Who might your captain be? I would like to talk to him," She informed him in a calm tone.

"You're talking to him right now," He responded, causing the smallest of smiles to appear on Freya's face.

"How long will you be out whaling for, Hakon?" She questioned him curiously.

"Depends," He answered as he moved closer to her, "Ten days maybe."

"Do you ever sail close to Kattegat and Ashton?" Freya found herself asking him as she stared up at Hakon.

Hakon chuckled, shaking his head at her. "No. Not often."

"How long would it take you to sail to Kattegat?" She stared at the man curiously, praying to the gods he didn't tell anyone about the questions she asked.

"If I had any reason to sail there, only two days," He informed her as he shrugged her shoulders.

Freya glanced around. She took a deep breath, just before taking a step toward him. She smiled, running a finger down his chest. "Tell me, how loyal is your crew?"

Hakon turned, glancing over at the people on the boat before back at her. "They are all members of my family. Is that a good enough answer?" He asked her curiously and Freya remained silent, nodding her head, "Princess Freya, why are you asking me these questions? It is odd for a woman like yourself to ask such questions."

Freya sighed, anxiously glancing around before she gestured for him to follow her. He ended up doing so they and they stood in the doorway of an empty cabin.

"I want you to deliver a message to someone in Kattegat," She informed the man in a calm tone.

"A message," He stated and Freya nodded in confirmation, "What kind of message?"

"I can't tell you that unless I'm sure you'll at least consider my request," She argued in a calm tone and Hakon watched Freya closely, noticing the way she seemed to be looking being paranoid while glancing around.

"I take it this is dangerous?" Hakon questioned, causing Freya to let out a large scoff.

"What do you think?" She replied with an attitude.