17. More Troubles On The Way...

10:20 AM, 2nd April, Mumbai Highway

Shreekant's anger was clearly visible on his face and Amna could feel its heat even in the absence of his words. His knuckles were turning white as he fisted his palm over the steering wheel tightly. As she was sitting beside him on the passenger seat in front, he started the car. He hurriedly pulled his car out of the mansion at an unimaginable speed.

Amna stared at Shreekant a couple of times while he was driving and finally blurted out nervously, "Whatever may be the situation, it was not correct of you to leave the house like that?"

"So, what do you want me to do? My family was humiliating and insulting you when they don't even know the real reason. Did you think that papa would have let you stay in that house after that amazing tidbit?" He literally shouted at her as their car was already running steadily along the highway.

Although it had been only a few days since they had known each other, both possessed unexpressed respect for each other where either of them could leap in troubles to protect the other one.

She zipped her lips silently for a moment and stared down but spoke again, "Fine...", her voice trailed off hearing his angry answer. She mumbled against the windshield of the window, "So where are we going now?"

He looked at her for a moment, "I don't know, because of that stupid rumor I can't go anywhere now. If the press spots you and me together anywhere they will eat us alive. I am thinking of going to Ratna Aunty's house"

"Belgaum... That's eight hours from here plus how will we investigate about my sister's death if we go there, it's a wastage of time and petrol"

"So, what are you suggesting?", he asked furrowing his eyebrows.

"I have a better option. Only if you agree, we can go to my Orphanage? We can stay there, although it might be a little uncomfortable for you. Once this rumor cools down a bit, we can think of some other place to stay in Mumbai itself"

He paused for a minute thinking while Amna was shaking her leg impatiently trying to guess his answer, "Your idea is not bad, but are you sure we will be allowed to stay there?"

"Sure, the only person I have to convince is Jaya and she will definitely understand our situation. Don't worry, I am not going to tell her everything, but I can convince her well", she said although she herself was unsure about Jaya's reaction.

"Okay then, let's go to Lonavala, it's just two hours from here"

Amna nodded, "If you don't mind, can I say something." He gestured to her to continue. 

"Your mother is a little strange, don't think that I am trying to create any misunderstanding between you and her, but she was kind of smiling when your father was chiding you and then immediately came to defend you in front of your father"

He grinned at her, "That's how our esteemed Mrs. Mhatre is, she is not my mother. She is my father's second wife. I and my brother Daksh lost our mother when I was four and he was three due to a terminal illness. My father then married her, Saket was her son from her previous marriage, and Mishka was born later to Mrs. Mhatre and my father. They are my step-siblings. The guy whom you saw earlier today was Saket"

She sensed his pain as he talked, "I understand why you call her Mrs. Mhatre... You know she is totally like Cinderella's stepmother, a villain"

He laughed at her comment, "What! Cinderella's stepmother? Are you calling me Cinderella?"

She stared at him, "This is the first time since we met that I saw you laughing."

He stopped his laugh, "It's true, I have also not heard my own laugh for many days. After I lost my mother at a young age, I always felt lonely. This huge Mhatre Niwas is just a house made of bricks and cement where neither love nor family resides. It's the place where I had to keep my emotions and feelings always confined until the day, I met Anna, your sister."