Forty-four¶Heart-ache💔

I stared at Freddy and Kate for a while. A sharp pang stabbed me in my chest. I clenched my fist and glared at them. Kate noticed my presence and pulled herself off Freddy. She bit her lip and fiddled with her fingers. She had the expression of a person who was caught red-handed in an act. Freddy's gaze swung to me. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped. He tried to say some words but no one came out from his gaping mouth. He glanced at Kate and then at me.

"This is definitely a misunderstanding," he exclaimed and walked towards me.

"Don't even dare come to me" I stretched my palm out and scrunched up my face.

"Freddy, tell Naomi the truth. Tell her that I'm your real girlfriend," Kate voiced.

Irritation surged through my veins. I knew that staying among them would produce different emotions and reactions. I was so furious that I couldn't think clearly. The only idea for me was to run away. Then, I can process everything that has happened to me and know if it's best to delete Freddy out of my life. I saw the way Freddy was silent and that made me more agitated.

I pivoted on my heels and ran out of the room as angry tears welled up in my eyes.

How dare he play with my feelings? What's going on? Why did he kiss Kate? Why didn't he say anything? Are they dating?

The questions floated in my mind as I ran in the hall towards the stairs.

"Naomi, wait!" Freddy's voice echoed.

My brows snapped together and I ran faster. Luckily, school had closed and there was no students at the hallway. Before my feet could touch the stairs, a hand held my forearm and pulled me back.

"Trust me, Naomi. This is a big misunderstanding. I'm not dating Kate. No..." he rushed the words out as he panted.

Naomi? After so long you actually called me by my name.

"Do I look like a fool to you?" I sneered and tried to squirm from his grip. "Let go of me!"

"I'm not dating Kate!"

"Then why were you kissing her?"

"I...I..." he shook his head ferociously. "I...I didn't kiss her. She kissed me. I swear"

I inhaled and said in the best calm voice I could force out at that situation, "Freddy, I am so angry that I'm not listening to you now. Just leave me alone. I want to cool off".

Behind I saw Kate lick her lips and smiled at me. My blood boiled. I just wanted to slap that her stupid face.

I need to leave this place before I explode.

I shoved Freddy's hand off me and made my way back to the stairs. He held my arm again and I exploded. I turned and landed a hot slap on his face. "LEAVE ME ALONE!" I yelled and stomped down the stairs. I wanted to turn back and apologise for slapping him but my blood was hot. I just stomped straight home and buried myself under my bedspread.

Later that day, my parents called my sister and me to the living room. My father announced that his sister, my aunt was getting married. That was the best news since today. My favorite aunt was going to get married.

"We will be traveling to Ibadan for her wedding," my dad declared and a large smile played on his face.

"Yes!" Anita squeaked.

"Awesome!" I exclaimed, trying to appear ecstatic. I was happy with the news but I wasn't in the best mood.

"We are traveling tomorrow" my father added and reclined on the couch.