Chapter Four

Xavier was leaning against the far wall of the gym, scanning the crowd in attendance. Almost everyone was there, except three of his crew and the latest additions to their science team, Hannah and her assistants. That didn't surprise him though. They probably got lost in the new project and forgot to check their watches. He knew how scientists got when they had a new subject to study.

Director Adams was heading in his direction with a stubborn look of determination on his face. "Xavier, I have a mission for you."

"I'm off-duty, Director."

"Then the mission suits you perfectly. Go and round up our newcomers and bring them to their welcome party," the man said, as he smacked his hands together.

"Can't someone else do it," he whined, not budging an inch.

"You are my head of security."

"So." Somehow he had a feeling that saying no wasn't going to work this time around. If his Director had an objective in mind, no one could talk him out of it.

"Just do it," Adams ordered.

Grumbling, Xavier pushed himself off the wall and made his way towards the door. He'd been hoping to get out of escort duty when she didn't show up, but it was like Adams and Clemmens were conspiring against him. Xavier smiled at a few of the crew members as he walked by. One or two of the ladies tried to ask him to dance, but he politely refused, saying that he'd save a dance for them later. He was suddenly feeling like a real pushover. You'd think saying no would be easy because he did security, but nope. It wasn't.

Right now, he really wanted to be in his room, watching a movie. Something with action preferably. Initially his plan had been to go to the gym until they announced that it's where they were going to hold the party. Now, aside from lifting weights, there was nothing else he could do to expend his energy that didn't involve a woman

When he stepped into the hall, it was like a breath of fresh air. Inside, all the sweaty bodies were beginning to drive him nuts. Large crowds weren't really his thing, even if he knew everyone in them. Xavier moved down the hall and got into the elevator, taking it to the third level, then walked to her lab.

And low and behind, he found them inside. They were all gathered around a piece of equipment, staring at a monitor. Hannah was pointing at something on the screen. He stepped up to the window and knocked. Their heads shot up in unison. Xavier waved them over. Hannah touched the shoulders of her assistants and said something she couldn't hear before entering the decontamination chamber.

It took a few minutes, but she finally stepped into the front office. "What's up?"

"Everyone was wondering where you guys were hiding."

"Why?" she started to ask, and then her eyes widened. "Oh shoot, don't tell me we're late?"

"Don't you guys like note down times when you make a discovery?"

"Yes, but..." She let out a woosh of air in exacerbation. "It's really the last thing on our mind."

He didn't really understand that. In his line of work, time was important. If you forgot what time you did something, you wouldn't know the next time a patrol was coming up. "Anyway, everyone is in the gym waiting for you. Why don't I escort you back to your room to get ready?"

"Sure, just give us a second to finish up. Thanks for coming to get us," she said, resting a hand on his arm.

The action was seemingly innocent, but he felt like she'd just caressed his entire body. God! If he had to stay by her side the entire night, then there would be a problem. And he didn't want to cross any professional boundaries.