8

Lisa

After a long operation hour, anyone would truly be exhausted. However, I have promised to myself that I would do my best in order to perform my duty as a doctor and resting in exchange for a patient's life is not within my books.

I immediately changed my scrubs and put on my coat, afterwards proceeded my way going to the ER.

Upon my arrival, I immediately tended to one of the patients that had no attending physician.

Being a doctor is kind of hard but being able to help someone that is in need of your service is fulfilling.

I was lost in those kinds of thoughts when suddenly Nurse Park called for our attention. "Attention everyone, Mr. Kim together with the Choi family will be arriving today to meet our director. As instructed no one should go to the director's office for today or else you will be disrupting a very important meeting. That will be all." Hearing the mention of the Choi family made me think that I should be there somehow later. 

Thus, regardless on continuing my services to the patients, I also became attentive to the entrance of the most awaited guest.

Hours later, Mr. Kim had finally arrived. I subtly followed them to Dr. Kim's office making up an excuse to Dr. Nam that I will just take a break as I had a long day to which he agreed on.

I leaned over the door to hear about the conversation that they have. And I could not believe the slap that I heard. Did that old geezer slap his daughter in front of the visitor.

As their conversation progressed, I cannot seem to accept that Jenni is taking the blame all for herself.

I knocked on the door. It was immediately opened and I was immediately in front of the old geezer. Nurse Park gave me a look that says what the hell are you doing here but I could not seem to look at Jennie not right now that is.

I greeted them, "Good afternoon, I am sorry for intruding."

"And who might you be doctor? Are you not informed that this is a special meeting and no one should interrupt?" His cold old voice. I resisted to flash a sarcastic smile in front of him. This was not the right time to act cool.

"I am Dr. Manoban." I firmly stated. "I would like to explain myself regarding the operation."

"I don't think you are ne-" the old man was not able to finish his words as he was cut by the a woman whom I assume is the wife of Mr. Choi. "Let her proceed Mr. Kim." Upon hearing that the old geezer stood back and allowed me to continue.

"I heard that Mr. Choi was supposed to be operated last week but since the assisting surgeon had a health issue, it was postponed." Upon blurting my first words, shock was evident in the face of Jennie and Rosie. "And that surgeon was supposed to be the one assisting the operation supposedly, today. But he once again had a health issue. I overheard the conversation of Director Kim and Nurse Park about it. Thus, I checked the condition of the patient and it was far from okay. So, if the operation would be postponed it would have a great effect to the patient, it will deteriorate his health to a point that not even a surgery would be able to cure the illness." I paused looking directly in the eyes of the wife of Mr. Choi. "I know that I am a newbie surgeon but we also have undergone such operation in school before so I am somehow exposed to this kind of operations. I know you might think that maybe I was just showing off, but please take my word that I would not volunteer if I know that I am not capable in saving the persons life."

I said all of those things with sincerity. Minutes later, I saw the woman nod. "May I ask you then, why did you find trouble to explain this things to us?" She inquired to which had made me gulp. 

"All I know is that I came here because I wanted you guys to know that what we did is what doctors do and that is to save lives in the best possible means that we can." I felt like I just preached before them.

I saw the woman then signal Mr. Kim to meet him outside. I just followed them with my gaze. Unknowingly, it was then I felt that I was smacked in the head. "Ow." I reacted turning to the person who smacked me.

"It would be a lot worse than that smack, did I not instruct everyone in the ER not to disturb us here?" Rosie asked. And based on her tone it seemed like a fake anger voice that she is using as despite her facial feature being angry her voice seems warm.

"You know, Nurse Park instead of smacking me you could have thanked me. Just saved you from their wrath you know." I jested. 

"You little punk." She said as she started pinching me. I sneaked a glance at Jennie and she was just watching us as she shook her head. 

My silly banter with Nurse Park was cut short when the door suddenly opened revealing Mr. Kim. 

The old geezer looked at my way as if he was going to skin me alive. "I'll be going Jennie. I hope this won't happen again." He said and gave me one last look before closing the door in a harsh manner.

"Well that was surprising." I was then placed in a headlock as my hair was suddenly ruffled. "I guess your sudden appearance was not a burden at all youngster." Upon hearing that I smiled. But it was eventually cut short as Dr. Kim suddenly said.

"You just got lucky. I hope this won't happen again Dr. Manoban. Please do follow the protocol." Jennie said seriously. 

"Oh come on Jennie you are such a killjoy." Rosie intervened. "Anyways since you saved our asses today I'll treat for dinner. You going with us Jen?" The doctor declined. "I guess its just you and me tonight Manoban."

1052 Words

Will be updating as much as I can as classes had resumed. Hope you understand. Thanks :)