3

L

1 week later

Finally! I can finally begin my first ever duty in SNH. Checking all my things, I took my bag and headed out. However, before I could step out of the house, I heard my mother calling for me.

"Lisa?" Heaving out a sigh I faced my mother.

"Yes, mother."

"Are you still going to continue working at a hospital?" This woman, is she for real.

"Yes. I will. I worked hard to reach where I am, and I won't allow you to yet again step in in any of my matters. Now if that is all, have a good day mother."

After everything that has happened, I truly cannot stand the sight of the person who had brought me to this world. For her everything she did was for my benefit, but it seems to be always the opposite.

Groaning, I pulled the strap of my bag and proceeded.

When I reached the hospital, I move along without any care of what was going on around. A day before Nurse Park had called me and instructed that she had left all the things that I needed for the day at my locker. All I have to do was to proceed at the lounge and take a look at those.

"Seems that you are quite down  on your first day?" Looking up, it was Nurse Park standing in front of me. 

"Nurse Park, Good morning." I greeted as I scratched my nape embarrassed to be seen at a bad mood on my first day.

"Please stop the formalities doctor, we are after all of the same age." She said plastering a gentle smile on her face.

"Very well then, please call me Lisa." I proposed to which the nurse in front of me beemed enthusiastically upon my agreement of  letting go of the formalities.

"Rosie." She simply stated. "Anywho, Lisa. Doctor Kim was the one assigned you under the wings of the head surgeon of the cardiac department. But , unfortunately, it seems that she won't be here till another week. Thus, you are currently assigned in the emergency department." She explained thoroughly. But I truly do not care so long as I could work in SNH because that is the only thing that matters.

"No probs, Rosie!" I answered quite enthusiastically.

"For a newbie surgeon, shouldn't you be thristy to operate?" She asked curiosity was evident in her face.

I simply shrugged and answer "I am but as long as I could save lives, that is all that matters."

"Well I hope you keep the fighting spirit that you have." She encouraged.

"I'll be back. I will just take my coat." I said to which she nodded.

3rd Person

It was a matter of minutes when Lisa left that Jennie had arrived. Upon her entrance, everyone bowed as she walked passed their area to which she nodded. Rosie head her way to the director to report.

"Good morning Dr. Kim." Gone was  the friendly tone that Rosie had used to greet Lisa. Despite working with Jennie for the longest time she maintains professionalism on office ours since Jennie is quite strict when it comes to hospital protocols.

"Good morning Nurse Park." The director greeted in her usual stoic tone.

By then Rosie knew her boss was not in the mood. As there are three kinds of tone that Jennie uses. First, is the slight mellow and warm tone that she rarely uses because that is when she is the happiest. Second, that professional tone but with warmth the usual tone that she uses in talking to her patients especially children. And the least favored tone was that oh her stoic ice tone which is often witnessed by hospital staff and doctors that had worked with Jennie on days where she is totally pissed.

And guess what these was one those days.

"Is the VIP patient already here?" Dr. Kim inquired.

"Yes, doctor. The VIP arrived on the time you have agreed upon." Jennie nodded somberly, her emotions began to show. 

And because of that Rosie decided that she would talk to the Doctor not as the head nurse but as her long time friend. Upon reaching Dr. Kim's office, Rosie immediately locked the door wanting to secure there privacy.

Upon hearing the door being locked, Jennie turned, her brows raised as if questioning the nurse of what she was doing.

"Jennie." Upon hearing her friend called her that she knew the course of the talk that they would be having.

"Not know Rosie. I don't need that guilt trip this moment." And hearing those words, Rosie's mood tour sour, anger was now evident in her facial features.

"Not now?! Then when Jennie? Do you even see yourself right now? The guilt is eating you." Rosie asked her voice trembling in anger both to her friend and to the circumstances that led Jennie to this point.

"Roseanne." Hearing Jennie called her that, she knew she had already overstepped. And all she could do was turn her head away from the doctor.

"This is not the right time for that Nurse Park. I have a patient to save. So please ready the OR for me." She commanded and all the nurse could do was turn around and comply to the order of the Director. But before leaving she heard Rosie speak "How could you save someone when you cannot even save yourself?" It was merely a whisper that was not intended to be heard by Jennie. But she still did.

A certain flashback came in mind. You are gonna do this you hear me. This is what I made you  for. Jennie looked herself at the mirror very much her eyes glassy from the memory that yet had invaded her thoughts.

With a somber look, Jennie controlled her emotions, she would not cry, she had foregone that phase already. She took a deep breath, and changed to her scrubs.

As soon as she was done, she went her way towards the operating room her aura back with coldness as if she was more than ready for the operation.

1021 Words