Chapter 1

I lightly dragged my hands across the dirt, letting the grains fly over my hands, and into the gaps of my fingers. I sat on the ground, taking in the earth around me.

"Kazumi." A feminine voice snapped me out of my trance. I turned my head towards the voice, indicating that I was listening.

"Are you taking a break?" The woman, Miss Misaki, asked.

"I'm observing the terrain." I replied.

I may not be able to see, but I can definitely feel. That's how I function. Everything makes vibrations, and my sense of touch is much more sensitive than others. I can feel everything move around me, so it's like I can see everything around me.

"I see. Make sure to stay on task. That Final Selection is coming up soon. I may be a spirit, but that doesn't mean I don't know what's currently happening." She stated, and I nodded.

Ever since I was blinded, I could see and hear ghosts. Weird, right? I can't see anything but spirits. As irritating as it can be, I'm still grateful for it. Without this ability, I wouldn't have met my teacher, Miss Misaki.

"I didn't open your spiritual eyes for no reason. Now watch me as I show you the proper form for this technique." She ordered, and I heard her shift.

Miss Misaki was the one who gave me this ability. After I was blinded she happened to stumble upon my bloodied form. She told me she could save my eyes from being completely severed, but only if she opened my spiritual eyes. I obviously agreed, but I was still blind to everything else. However, on the bright side, I do still have my eyes.

"Yes ma'am." I stood up from the ground, turning towards the woman to see her bright silhouette against the usual darkness I see.

Without these bandages on my eyes, I'd be able to see spirits clearly, but I hide myself from the spirits, not wanting to mess with them. They're powerful beings, and most of them aren't friendly. Looking at them clearly for too long can really take its toll on me. I eventually grow sick and tired, but especially if I channel them. Humans aren't meant to mix with spirits.

I watched Miss Misaki's silhouette move gracefully as she preformed the attack.

"Now, back to it." Miss Misaki's voice was calm and smooth. She had such a relaxing voice. I've only seen her a couple times, one being the day we met. I didn't have any bandages on, so I got a good look at her when she opened my eyes. She was a young woman with curly brown hair. It was tied back into a ponytail, and made her gold eyes pop with color.

I followed her moves as closely as I could. She was teaching me a new form to my breathing technique. I've been trying to learn the seventh form for awhile now, and I was getting close to mastering it.

"Good, now..." Miss Misaki raised her arm. "Take this moment to attack." She slashed her arm down, pretending to have a sword. I lifted my weapon up, and swiftly sliced the air.

"Good! You did it!" Miss Misaki clapped, and I perked up.

"Really?" My lips tugged into a smile.

"Yes! Now do it again." She instructed, and I obeyed.