Chapter 23

It's been awhile since I first started the Total Concentration training. Tanjiro and I were both close to mastery, able to continuously use Concentration breathing all day.

We were close to going on our next mission, and I was more than ready to leave this cooped up place. Zenitsu was pretty much healed, and Inosuke was definitely healed. Speaking of the wild boy, just thinking of him makes my heart flutter. I know he has a kind heart deep down, and he's determined to keep me safe. He keeps beating Zenitsu up whenever he whines about us or makes a comment about me.

I reached up to my face, my fingertips brushing against the bandages covering my eyes once again. I felt a sense of comfort wash over me as I remembered my face was concealed again.

The three cute girls from the mansion were now seeing us off. They held a big tray of food in front of them. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but I assumed it was rice balls from the way Inosuke gasped from next to me.

"Good luck! We hope you beat a lot of demons!" They cheered at the same time, and Inosuke lunged forwards. He dug into the food, ignoring Zenitsu's protests.

I smiled, bowing at the girls in thanks.

"Don't eat them now!" Zenitsu screamed, pouncing on Inosuke.

"Shut up!" He yelled, shoving another one down his throat. I glanced over at them, sensing Tanjiro run off to somebody not to far away. I think it was the water pillar of the Hashira.

"Somebody needs to teach you some manners!" Zenitsu screamed, trying to pry the food away from the boy. Inosuke shoved him off, carelessly kicking him aside.

"This one is for you, Kazumi!" Inosuke proudly presented me a rice ball, and I perked up.

"Ah- Thank you." I smiled, bowing slightly before taking the food. Inosuke laughed in triumph, placing his hands on his hips.

"You animal!" Zenitsu cried from the ground, upset about the difference of how Inosuke treats me vs him. The crying of the children in front of us caught my attention, and I turned towards them.

"Be safe you guys!" They cried, and Zenitsu scurried up from the ground.

"Oh no! Saying goodbye has broken your little hearts! I can stay behind if you like?" He offered, clearly not wanting to go on this new mission.

"Zenitsu, when you're on your journey, please try to be considerate and respectful of girls, okay?" One of them stated, and I covered my mouth to keep my laughter in.

"Yes." Zenitsu deadpanned, the emotion leaving his body.

"I'm feeling happy..." Inosuke hummed. He must've eaten all the food...

"You do feel a little sad that I'm leaving, right?!" Zenitsu exclaimed, hoping the girls would miss him.

"We're not sad!" They all replied, and Zenitsu screamed. I let a small laugh escape my lips, causing him to choke.

"EVEN KAZUMI IS LAUGHING AT ME?! WHY ARE YOU GIRLS SO EAGER TO TEAR ME DOWN?!" Zenitsu screamed, and the girls giggled. I let out another laugh, feeling him crumble to the floor.

"All right everyone! We're heading out now!" Tanjiro waved the girls off, and we turned, ready to travel to our next mission.

○●○

If I thought being in the city was bad on its own, I had no idea what was in store for me. I gripped onto Inosuke's arm, my stomach dropping.

"Wh-What is that?!" I exclaimed, and Inosuke tensed.

"What.... the... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CREATURE!" He yelled, taking a step forwards. The thing let out a loud whistle like noise, and I squealed, my grip tightening on Inosuke. The vibrations it gave off were super intense, almost making me dizzy. It was huge, and definitely heavy. I had no idea what it was, and I'd never felt anything like it.