Chapter 29

(This picture is from the last chapter)

"I am the Pillar of Flame! Rengoku Kyojuro! Ninth Form! Rengoku!" He yelled, raising his sword.

"Destructive Death, Annihilation!" Akaza shouted, bringing his hands in front of him. The both of them then darted off towards each other, going for the kill.

I gasped sharply as the two threw their attacks, the boys next to me tensing. My breath caught in my throat as I couldn't believe what I was sensing.

This couldn't be. No, I must be wrong. The vibrations are wrong! There's no way!

Every movement and vibration pointed to Akaza's arm impaled through Rengoku. Judging by the boy's reactions, the smoke hadn't cleared, so they had no clue. My fists tightened harshly, a choke leaving my throat.

"No!" I yelled, running a hand through my messy hair. "No, please!" I repeated, my throat tightening as I felt tears begin to prick my eyes.

Tanjiro gasped from next to me, a chilling scream leaving his lips as he finally saw the scene.

Suddenly, Rengoku began to move again, a strong shout filling the air as he sliced his blade into Akaza's neck. The demon gasped, shocked that Rengoku had any strength left. He tried to punch the man, only to be stopped by the firey Hashira. Akaza desperately tried to rip his arm from Rengoku, but it was stuck securely in the man as he held onto him.

Tanjiro sprung up, sprinting for his sword, eager to help.

"Tanjiro!" I called, trying to stop the boy from moving. However, I knew I couldn't stop him. He was determined to save Rengoku, who was far from saving.

"Let go of me! Let go of me!" Akaza panicked, and I assumed it was near dawn by now.

"I will never let you go Not until I've cut off your head!" Rengoku yelled as Akaza screamed.

"Inosuke, Kazumi! Move! Before it's too late!" Tanjiro screamed as he ran towards us. Inosuke jumped, being snapped out of his trance.

I only warily gripped my sword, the sheer strength of this demon admittedly scaring me.

Rengoku grunted in pain, struggling against Akaza. My grasp on my blade tightened as I took a deep breath. Rengoku needs us right now, there's no time to be scared.

I quickly took off, sprinting towards the two. I jumped up with Inosuke, planning to attack the demon. Akaza growled in frustration, ripping his limbs off. He left his arms in Rengoku's grasp, breaking his blade, leaving it in his neck. The demon quickly made a break for the forest, running from the sunlight.

Tanjiro ran past us, approaching the forest. He inhaled, throwing his sword at Akaza with all his strength. The blade peirced through the demon's chest, causing him to choke loudly. However, he continued to run, desperate to escape.

"Don't run away! I'm not done with you yet, you coward! Turn and face me!

"Don't forget the Demon Slayer Corps will always be there! Fighting in the darkness that's the only place you can fight! We are flesh and blood! Our wounds cannot heal easily Lost limbs don't grow back! So why are you running?! you bastard! You're a coward! A coward! Mr. Rengoku is stronger than you'll ever be! A lot stronger! You didn't win against him! He kept everyone safe! He fought to the very end so nobody would die! You're the one who lost! Rengoku is the true victor!" Tanjiro screamed into the trees, soon crumbling into tears. He screamed as he sobbed, falling to his knees.

I frowned, listening to Tanjiro break. I walked towards Rengoku, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you." I whispered, and he looked up in surprise. He quickly relaxed, a soft chuckle escaping his lips.