Chapter 25

"Good morning, honey." A silky smooth voice called out, and the melody of birds chirping filled my ears. The warm embrace of a blanket brushed against my skin as the soft comfort of a bed below me almost made me fall back asleep.

"Time to get up, Kazumi." The voice rang out again, and I gasped, finally recognizing it. I shot up, my eyes quickly opening. I gasped loudly as I did, my hands shooting to my face.

The bright color of the white blanket took up most of my vision, and I looked around, gazing at the wooden walls and the soft greens on the doors. I glanced out the window, seeing the lush green of the trees and the pleasant blue of the sky. I noticed the numerous birds perched on the crisp brown branches of the trees as they chirped at each other, their sleek black feathers shimmering under the soft glow of the morning sun.

"I... I can see!" I exclaimed, feeling my face. "I can see!" I repeated, looking up excitedly at the woman beside me. She peered at me with the same light blue eyes I had, confusion glistening behind them. Her dark hair sat in a nice braid over her shoulder, silky pieces falling nicely from the style.

"Mom! I can see again!" I beamed, smiling brightly at the dark haired woman.

"Kazumi, you're not making any sense. What do you mean you can see? You've always been able to see, silly!" She laughed, placing a comforting hand on my knee.

I tilted my head for a moment, this whole situation causing my mind to go blank. Confusion hit me like a train, and I blinked, thinking about her words. My fingers grazed the smooth skin around my eyes before moving one of my hands to scratch the back of my head.

"Yeah... I guess you're right... I think I'm just still a bit tired." I laughed lightly, and my mother shook her head with a soft smile.

"Come on, get up! I wanted to make breakfast together." My mother smiled softly, and I nodded, getting out of bed.

We quickly headed to the kitchen, ready to make a delicious breakfast to share.

"No! Kazumi, that's too much!" My mom warned, taking the flour from my hand.

"O-Oh! Sorry!" I quickly exclaimed, bowing harshly.

"Woah, what's gotten into you, honey! It's okay to make mistakes. It's just some flour." My mom chuckled, gently guiding me to stand up straight again. I blinked, confused as to why I had just apologized so greatly. I let out a nervous laugh, continuing our dish.

Once we finished, I took our plates, heading to the table. I set one down on one side, starting to place the other one on the other side. I suddenly stopped, my eyes widening as I stared at the table.

"Kazumi, what's wrong?" My mother called out, sending me a concerned look and I paused, the plate hovering over the spot at the table. For some reason I felt like this seat was already reserved. Reserved for someone important. Someone feared.

"N-Nothing. I'm fine." I replied, sending her a forced smile. I must be going crazy. It's only been me and my mother for as long as I could remember. I set the plate down, sitting across my mom in bliss.

We ate the food, laughing in joy as we conversed about past memories, bringing up loving or embarrassing stories.

"So I was thinking we could tend to the garden today. Maybe we could even plant a couple new herbs." My mother smiled, finishing her breakfast.

"Of course." I replied with a smile. I took her plate and she thanked me as I washed both of them, putting them away out of instinct.

"You didn't have to do that, sweetheart." My mother ruffled my hair, and I only shook my head.