Chapter 19

I've been roaming around the forest, no luck in finding anyone who hasn't already been treated. I heard groaning not too far away, and I quickly made my way towards it.

"WHY AM I TIED UP?!" I heard a familiar voice scream, and I stopped in my tracks, remembering the absence of my bandages. Inosuke stopped himself from yelling, since it seemed to be straining his voice. I could feel the vibrations of the boy thrashing while hanging from a tree.

I hesitated before quietly walking towards the Demon Slayer. He didn't seem to notice me, which is good. But I do remember him being injured, and I grew concerned for him. I kept my head down, covering my face my hand traveled to my sword.

I quickly ran over to Inosuke, swiftly cutting the rope down. The boy fell against me, his head propped up on my shoulder. I tensed at the sudden contact, but was soon strangly relaxed by the wild boy's presence.

"Huh? Hatumi?" His voice was much quieter than usual, slightly hoarse. I cringed at the state he was in, ignoring the way he got my name wrong. He quickly pushed away from me, insisting he could stand on his own.

"I-I'm fine..." He muttered, but began stumbling. He fell to his knees, and I quickly knelt down to mine to help him. I kept my head tilted down, hiding myself.

"Are you-" Inosuke stopped himself, grunting in pain from speaking. I think something had injured his throat. "Are you hurt?" He asked and my eyes widened.

"You should be worried about yourself right now, Inosuke." I stated and he was oddly quiet, minus the fact that he had injured his voice.

"I... I wasn't-" Inosuke choked, and I flinched, not sure if I should tell him not to talk, or keep going. "I wasn't strong enough..." He croaked, and I tensed.

"Inosuke..." I started, hesitating before reaching out for his hand. I softly held his rough hand in mine, my face downcast. "Please don't beat yourself up over some demon. The best thing you can do right now is work to become stronger than your already are. Try your hardest to meet your goals so that you can defeat every demon in your path." I spoke softly as Inosuke sat there in silence.

"So please don't call yourself weak, Inosuke. You're not weak. It takes strength to recognize your flaws and work on bettering yourself." I lightly squeezed the boy's hand, and he let out a shaky breath, squeezing back.

I could tell he wanted to thank me, but didn't quite know how to say it. He took his other hand, and I sensed it travel up to my face. I flinched back, avoiding his reach.

"Your bandages..." He muttered, and I frowned, looking further away. I knew he still couldn't see my face, and I planned to keep it that way.

"Lemme see!" His suddenly raised his voice, obvious that he was excited. I frantically shook my head, crawling back.

"No! You don't want to see that!" I exclaimed, not wanting Inosuke of all people to see my face.

"Oh shut up! Everyone saw my face!" He countered, his voice hoarse. I covered my face with my hands, shaking my head.

"Look at me dammit!" He yelled as much as he could without causing immense pain. I squealed as I felt his hands grip mine, ripping them from my face.

"No! Don't!" I panicked, but before I could look away from the boy, he held my head still by placing both his hands on either side of my face.

Inosuke went silent, and I frowned, knowing that he thought I was ugly. Why did I care so much more about what Inosuke thinks?

"Stop looking at me. I know I'm ugly! Even that boy in the city said it and I was wearing my bandages that time too!" I exclaimed, uncomfortable by how long Inosuke had been staring at me. He suddenly jumped at my statement, reeling back from my face, letting me go.