Chapter 18

Kazumis parents‼👍👍👍

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my! What a scar!" Zankoku laughed as he ran around me, taking a look at my face.

"A shame really..." He stopped running and I gripped my sword, my hands shaking slightly. "It really ruins your face." He stated with fake pity and I clenched my jaw. I brought a shaking hand to my face, feeling the swolen scars running across my eyes, and down to my cheeks. My eyes widened as I touched the scar for the first time in what felt like forever. I gasped as my breath caught in my throat, unwanted memories surfacing.

"God! How useless can you be, woman!"

I watched my father strike my mother down again before storming out of the house. My mother stayed crumbled on the ground, her weak shoulders shaking as she sobbed. I gripped the doorframe of my room, feeling my heart drop.

My mother began to slowly pick herself up from the wood floors, and started to pick up the shattered glass next to her. She sat on her knees, her shoulders tensed as she timidly cleaned up the mess.

"Kazumi. You can come out." Her soft voice rang out, instantly loosening the knot forming in the pit of my stomach. I silently crept out from behind my door and into the small hallway that connected to the main room.

"I told you to stop watching your father." My mother warned, continuing to pick up the glass.

"I'm sorry..." I muttered, recalling the numerous times my mother had warned me to stay away from my father.

"You should've hid in your room. It's dangerous. You're only eleven." My mother's tone was quiet, her eyes locked on the mess below her.

"But it's dangerous for you too! He hurts you every day! Over and over again!" I cried, and my mother flinched violently, hissing quietly as the glass cut into her soft skin. Blood dripped onto the cool floors at my feet. I gasped, taking a step back.

"I-I'm sorry, Mom... I didn't- I-"

"Sh... sh.." My mother soothed me, finally looking up to bring me into a hug. "It's okay, Kazumi..." She whispered, her injured hand smearing blood onto my clothes.

"Just please. Stay away from your father. Don't talk, look, or even breathe near him." She warned, gripping my shoulders tightly, and staring into my wide eyes.

"Remember your manners, Kazumi. Always be polite. Always apologize even if you did nothing wrong. Always keep your head down. Please, just stay safe." She frantically searched my face for confirmation as she firmly grasped my face in her hands, blood staining my cheek. I nodded softly, fear gripping at my chest.

It was now night, and the moon shone in the sky, basking the forest around us in a soft glow. My father still hadn't returned, and I was beginning to think something had happened to him. My mother still sat at the dinner table, my fathers food set neatly across from her. I sat in my room, gazing out the window.

I jumped, stifling a small scream as the front door suddenly slammed open. I heard a deep snarl that sounded almost animal like. I remembered my mother's warnings, and I looked around my room for a hiding spot. I ran to my closet, slipping inside the small space.