Chapter 16

I tensed at the presence of the demon above us.

"I will not let you disturb my family's peaceful life. Mother will be sure to make quick work out of all of you." The demon's deep voice echoed down from above us.

"Who's mother?" Tanjiro muttered.

"Maybe she's the one controlling the threads?" I suggested. Inosuke suddenly jumped on top of a Corp member, launching himself into the air. He swung at the demon, but didn't get high enough to touch him. The demon began to walk away as Inosuke fell to the ground.

"Damn you! Where the hell Do you think you're going?! Fight me! Fight-" Inosuke was cut off as he slammed into the ground, coughing as he made contact.

"Inosuke!" I shouted, running over to him as he sat up.

"Why did he even show up anyway?!" Inosuke scoffed.

"I don't think he's the demon controlling our people with his threads! We can't focus on him now!" Tanjiro yelled out, defending himself from a Slayer's blade.

"Okay, okay, okay! I hear you all right?! You want me to find the one who is! Shut up about it already!" Inosuke shouted, stabbing his swords into the ground.

"Kazumi! Make sure both the spiders and the Corp don't touch him!" Tanjiro ordered me, and I nodded, defending Inosuke as he shot his arms out. I blocked a slash from a Slayer, and stabbed a spider crawling over to him.

"Beast Breathing, Seventh Form. Spatial Awareness." Inosuke began to search for the demon. I killed more spiders as I stood in front of him.

"I found you." He laughed lowly. "You demon!"

"You found them?" Tanjiro asked, throwing a Corp member across the ground.

"Yeah, follow me that way! I'm sensing a strong presence over there!" Inosuke replied, and I assumed he had pointed in some direction.

"You are? Way to go, Inosuke!" Tanjiro congratulated the boy, and he giggled lowly. He dodged another swing, though barely since he was distracted.

"Why you- We can't get anywhere with these guys around!" Inosuke shouted. And I dodged another blade, swinging my sword at it, and launching it across the forest.

"Dammit... isn't there... isn't there any way we can get out of this!" Tanjiro exclaimed, and I noticed the webs give the sword back to the one I had just disarmed.

"To hell with this crap! Thats it- I'm just going to demolish them all at once!" Inosuke yelled, clearly frustrated.

"Wait. There's got to be a better way." I stopped the boy, holding my arm out.

"Listen, we can't hurt these people!" Tanjiro gasped as another person came running at him. Murata however, stepped in the way, blocking the attack.

"Murata?" Tanjiro gasped.

"Leave these guys to me and go on ahead, Tanjiro!" The boy called out as he defended us.

"Big talk from the guy who pissed his pants!" Inosuke yelled, and I let out a small sigh, part of me finding that a little funny.

"I never did anything of the sort, you stupid boar!" Murata screamed, irking Inosuke. "I wasn't even talking to you, so butt out!" He shouted before dodging another swing.

"I know I wasn't acting very brave back there, but I'm still a Demon Slayer! And I'll find a way to hold them off! I know now I just need to cut the threads, and that their movement patterns are very basic! So I should be fine! I'll watch out for the spiders too! There has to be people that are under even greater control that are closer to the demon! You have to help them!" Murata explained, urging us to go ahead.