Chapter 6

My hands gripped the sides of my clothing as I tensed up. Tanjiro and I had arrived at the city that Noizu wanted us to investigate. The sheer number of people unnerved me, and it overwhelmed my senses.

"The city has developed so much..." Tanjiro mumbled from next to me. We were currently standing on the side of the road. I pressed my back up against the building behind me, using it as some form of stability.

"It's so bright at night! The buildings are so tall!" He exclaimed, and I brought a hand up to my head, my fingers brushing my bandages.

"There's so many people..." I muttered under my breath, and Tanjiro jumped.

"Oh right! I forgot that you're blind! You've just got such good senses and all..." Tanjiro trailed off with a nervous chuckle.

"Let's go somewhere else, you must be really overwhelmed!" Tanjiro suggested, and I leaned further back into the wall. "I can also tell you don't like people very much..." He added quietly, and I hesitently nodded.

I followed Tanjiro's footsteps as he dragged Nezuko across the city. He also began to get overwhelmed as he continued to observe the city. We eventually found a secluded place, and approached some structure beside the path.

"Excuse me, sir. Can I have yam udon noodles?" Tanjiro asked, clearly exhausted from the city as he walked towards the structure I sensed. I assumed it was some sort of food stand, and I only sensed one man behind it.

"Sure, right away. And for you ma'am?" I assumed that the man turned to me since I could hear Nezuko's sleeping breaths.

"U-Um I'll have what he got." I bowed to the man before sitting down next to Nezuko.

"This is my first time here. There were too many people." Tanjiro sighed, and Nezuko lied her head on his shoulder.

"Me too. I've only ever lived in a small house in the woods." I set my hands in my lap, still feeling the stomping vibrations of the bustling people among the city.

"Here is your bowl of yam udon noodles." The man leaned from the window in the stand. I lifted my hands, and the man set the bowl in them.

"Thank you." I smiled, giving him a slight bow.

"Thank you, kind sir." Tanjiro spoke up as he took his bowl. I set the bowl on my lap, and I heard Tanjiro begin to eat his food. 

His breath suddenly hitched in his throat as a breeze blew through the crisp night. He suddenly dropped his bowl, causing me to jump.

"Tanjiro?" My voice was soft and quiet, offput by the boy's strange behavior. His breathing became erratic as he shot up from the bench.

"What's wrong?" I stood up, taking a step towards him. He began sniffing, and I assumed he had picked up on somebody's scent.

Tanjiro quickly grabbed his sword and ran off leaving me alone with Nezuko.

"Tanjiro! Wait!" I called out to the boy, but he ignored me. I doubt he even heard me since he was too caught up in his emotions. I was about to go after him, but a tug on my sleeve stopped me.

I turned my head, and felt Nezuko gripping my sleeve. I frowned, feeling her hand travel up to my arm. I tensed slightly at the action, but stepped back towards her. I sat down on the bench again with a sigh. Nezuko hummed in delight, and nuzzled her head into my arm, sleeping on my shoulder once again.

I picked my bowl up from beside me on the bench, and began to eat. I gasped slightly at the delicious taste, not expecting the food to taste that good. The noodles were a bit cold, but that was entirely my fault.