Chapter 3

That week, Alex existed in a daze, mind constantly working, replaying any of Julie's fights she had witnessed, analysing her movements and scanning for weaknesses and openings. While she may not match Julie in skill and experience, she could try to make up the difference by fighting smarter, not harder.

School had always been an, interesting affair. Teachers would just leave Alex alone now, used to her head being in the clouds but welcoming the great grades with open arms. Anything to help the reputation of the school, to say another person is on track to get all 9's. That was something else she had learnt about the world. No one cared about the truth, as long as your reputation made up for it.

She didn't get into fights often but after decking that one kid who found it hilarious to tease Alex about her lack of friends, even going as far as taking the mick out of her dead mother when nothing else worked, no one else came close to her, out of fear or horror. It made for a lonely life but it was one that Alex welcomed with open arms. 

So no one really noticed when she walked around school like a zombie, her expression that was more dazed than usual. The teachers were happy Alex was still giving in all of her work to the same degree of excellence and no one had any cares otherwise. But despite her cold hearted, uninterested appearance, she did care about people in general, sometimes anyway.

Alex walked down the hall to find a crowd, standing in a circle, around a couple of kids. They were fighting — surprise surprise — and the teachers rarely ever show up anymore. Alex sighed and tapped on the shoulder of the person closest to her. They turned, spotted Alex and immediately moved out the way.

Alex shook her head as she passed. All you do is punch one kid in the face and you're treated like the plague, not that I have any complaints.

She stepped into the middle of the fight, blocking a punch and sending the offender sprawling backwards with a light kick to the stomach. Well, maybe it wasn't that light.

"What the hell?"

"Look, what's-your-name, it was pretty obvious you were picking on this kid, I mean look at him," she gestured to the boy who was now standing up, books still clutched in his hand, hair covering his bleeding eyebrow. "Not to be stereotypical or anything," while looking at the obvious bully with his group of hecklers behind him. "Now scram before I make you cry and believe me, you don't want all of your 'loyal' followers to lose the little respect they have for you that keeps them following you around like lost puppies."

"No one cares what you think, Pierce." 

Alex laughed, gesturing to the interested faces around her. While the whole student body was wary of her, they hated the boy in front of her with a burning passion. "Really, is that why they're all listening?"

He let out an animalistic growl. "Show's over, back off!"

Alex just carried on laughing. "You know, you're not nearly as scary after being beat up. Try winning next time, hmm?" She tapped him on the back and walked over to the other kid, helping him up.

 "You alright?"

The crowd had begun the disperse, the bully's cronies taking him off to medical to get his bruised ribs treated.

"Yeah, thanks to you. That was really cool by the way."

"Thanks, I guess." 

The kid looked back at her like he wanted her to elaborate. When she gave no indication she was going to, he carried on. "I don't think I'm strong enough to do anything like that, so really, thank you for stepping in. If I went home with any more bruises my parents would freak out."