Chapter 46

Alex was pacing back and forth in the tiny room, just as she had been doing for the past 20 minutes and she wasn't about to stop either. 

She had gone the day without any contact from James and was wondering why.

Of course he's okay.

But she just didn't know.

If Potentia found out what they had really been doing, she didn't doubt their punishments would be death, or eternal torture.

Every time she told herself this, her worrying didn't seem so unnecessary.

It was about 6 in the morning. She couldn't sleep. All of her thoughts had turned to James and the way he had been acting. 

He had known something was wrong.

She was so caught up in everything, she failed to notice that the note, the message she had been decoding the night before was no longer on her desk. 

She was desperately hoping that he would knock of the door, heck even the window, as long as he could tell her that their cover wasn't blown. 

The only thing was, she didn't know if that was the true reason she was so worried. 

After everything that had happened, she had let someone worm they way into her life, she let herself smile and laugh around him even when she still wasn't sure he could be trusted. Their mutual hatred for the agency was the only thing that kept her working at his side. At least, that was how it was.

She let out a yell of pure frustration. 

Then there was a knock at the door.

She raced over, not bothering to look through the peep-hole, pretty sure who it was and...

It was an extremely ill-tempered  senior agent, rubbing his very droopy eyelids with a scowl on his face. "Can I help you," Alex said simply, unable to be overly nice but still trying not to anger the agent any more.

"Can you please tell me why you are pacing up and down the room at 6 bloody o'clock in the morning?" He said it calmly but the passive aggression wasn't well hidden in his tone. 

Alex just stared at him with a dumb expression. She had no clue what to say. The man just let out an angry sigh before continuing. "I'm in the dorm downstairs and would appreciate it if you could stop bloody pacing because I cannot bloody sleep and I have a bloody long day shift tomorrow so zip it before I tie you to your bed." His replacement of 'bloody' where he would be using profanities was not a great improvement since he was already spitting the words in her face. 

After calmly wiping drool of her face, she considered really letting this guy have it. She was not in the mood for a snobby agent who had no idea of the difficulties she was facing or her already suppressed emotions that were waiting for a release. 

Instead, she said as politely as humanly possible, "I'm am ever so sorry, sir. I will try to be more considerate and refrain from pacing in the future. I hope you have a lovely rest of the morning." Looking back it it, it probably sounded more sarcastic, most likely more patronising, than she would have liked. But the guy couldn't be bothered or was likely too tired to have noticed. 

He nodded at the not quite apology and went back down the corridor mumbling "Let another bloody teenager in here. What is this place coming too!" But Alex had already shut the door (as quietly as possible) and hadn't heard the muttered comment. 

Then, Alex promptly stalked over to her bed and let herself collapse onto it.

So there she sat, on her bed, leg jumping up and down in an attempt to relieve the anxiety.