Chapter 48

It took 5 weeks, 3 days and 12 hours but she, and Mark, had finally gathered enough information about Alex to go after her. 

So far, thanks to her amazing surveillance skills, she noticed Alex had been looking for him, thanks to the idiotic move of showing himself in front of the Tower of London. 

Has he told her about me? She dismissed the though from her mind. They probably don't even know each other, let alone talk. There's no way he would help her, right? I know he doesn't agree with what I did but her still works there, is still loyal to them. 

Then she thought about his ability to hold a grudge.

Yeah, definitely not loyal to them.

That just made her worry more.

The only lead they had on getting Alex on her own was finding security footage of her sneaking out of her window. She probably wouldn't have done that if they knew there was a camera situated right outside her window, hidden in a crack, covered in ivy, but for was helpful for them.

 It was only because of someone's hacking she knew about it and had rigged it to alert her if Alex left again. 

Apart from a few goings out, Alex was practically in prison in that blasted building. They didn't let her out. This meant that if they got a hit, if she left, it would their only chance and they had to make the most of it. 

She lay on the bed and stared at the ceiling. 

Life was extremely messed up. Ava had just begun to delve into the past, something she couldn't come out of quick enough after just a taste of possibility when her laptop beeped.

Ava knew exactly what that meant.

Practically jumping out of her bed, she raced over to the small screen whose contents made her heart leap. 

They had a chance, a chance to explain and protect. 

She grabbed black leggings and a black hoodie, threw it on, added some black denim shorts to hold her numerous gadgets from some trips to the gadget room along with her phone and rushed off to the boys dorm. She couldn't break into the dorm like before, not with many people up an about so she grabbed her phone, fingers flying across the screen to call her lazy partner and get him out. She was about to press the call button when a voice startled her into dropping her phone.

"You look suspicious, you know. All black, people are gonna think you're gonna mug 'em."

Ava picked up her phone and looked up to find Mark stepping out from behind the wall.

After meticulously checking her screen wasn't cracked, she replied with a glare.

"I feel like being a spy so I'm going to be a spy!"

"Fine, fine." Mark held his hands up in surrender. "Are we gonna go or what?"

"You know?"

Mark just looked at her like she was stupid. "Obviously I had alarms as well," shaking his head in mock disapproval. "You didn't think I wouldn't have alarms? I'm the one who had to do the bloody hacking. You couldn't hack to save your life!"

Or Alex's life in this case, her thoughts added bitterly.

"Yeah well unless it's lines of code, you have the attention span of a goldfish and no knack whatsoever for surveillance," she retorted with her snappy comeback that would have made Alex proud. 

"Totally not true."

Ava raised an eyebrow.

"Fine, I have practically zero concentration and survive on adrenaline," he relented, "Happy?"