Chapter 71

The warehouse loomed over her, a vast shadow that could very well be signing her death sentence. As Alex sat in the bushes, far away enough from the heavily guarded building to not be noticed but close enough to memorise the patrols and the timings.

There was no place for emotions, not now when the stakes were too high. She became that emotionless husk that let her do her job so well. Although, it would be difficult nevertheless with the constant chatter in her ear.

"Everyone in position?"

"Affirmative."

"Yupadoodles."

"Yes."

You could probably guess who was who.

"Who's nervous? I'm nervous, but excited. Ohmygosh I'm nervecited! Hahaha."

Again, pretty obvious who was the worst offender of the constant chatter.

"Ava, shut the hell up."

"No brother dearest, how else is this extremely morbid mood supposed to lighten up?"

"It isn't supposed to, Ava, this is serious."

There was a slight pause before, "I know."

Alex could practically hear James's nod of satisfaction.

But she groaned when he turned his inquisition onto her. "Alex, you're there right?" There was a sense of panic in his voice from her lack of response earlier.

"Yup."

Now she could hear the relief. "Thank god. You need to say something every five minutes, okay?"

Her dad chose that moment to input, "Agreed."

Alex let out an indigent huff. "Why me, why not Ava hmm? She has the same amount of experience as me, if not less."

The replies came all at once, a cacophony of "Rude," mixed with, "You know why," and "Why do you think?".

She huffed again before turning her focus back onto the warehouse, mixed feelings creeping through her cracked facade.

Grayson snuck through the hallways, blending into the shadows. Getting in was easy especially when you still had friends on the inside. Again, he checked the schedule Mr Silva had always followed rigorously, so much so it was a liability to be left out in the open. But Alex didn't get her hacking skills from nowhere.

To be on the safe side, he checked the multiple bugs he had managed to place in his time working at the agency. Silva's tracker placed him exactly where his schedule would be, the small camera implanted in his agency badge showing the interior of a conference room.

He was in a meeting currently. By the time the plan was in place, there were only two places he could be and only one of which gave Grayson enough time and privacy to execute the plan. So in other words, he'd have to plan some wild goose chases and a trap for the big bad wolf. 

He rubbed his hands together, a plan forming, one that would hopefully lead to a painless ending for everyone.

He lifted a finger to his earpiece, checking it was firmly in place before saying, "It's time to go."

Alex began the race across the grounds, waiting only moments after the patrol had turned the corner before leaving the safety of her hiding spot. She had a small window between the guards' rounds, one she was determined to make the most of. That excitement filled her again until she was fully submerged in the adrenaline inducing thrill her job gave her. Yes she was facing a world level threat and yes this was not the time to be getting an adrenaline hit but this was when she felt most alive. There was so much at stake and somehow, that made her relish the feeling even more.