Chapter 51

Sneaking back in was a breeze. 

Now she knew about the camera, she could hack in and make it seem like she was never there, just loop some footage of no one walking there. Luckily for her, the side of the building she was on never had any onlookers, probably why she was placed there - so they would easily be able to spot an anomaly. 

Now, this worked in her favour. Being able to enter and leave freely, as long as she was in her room for the heat sensor checks (which she still found extremely creepy), made her life much easier, especially the part where she escapes.

Now, she sat on her bed, leaning against the headboard with her laptop resting on her knees. The room was completely silent, bar the sound of Alex's fingers furiously typing on the keyboard. Hacking into every camera in the entire agency and triggering it to alert her when James finally showed up on one took effort. 

But she was a mastermind. 

In no longer than 4 minutes and 26 seconds, she had located him. Luck was finally on her side, showing James on his own in the gym. "Perfect." She sent some important code to her phone and printed something out while she got changed into some comfortable joggers and a nike t-shirt. She had some training to do.

Despite his apparently amazing agent skills, he had failed to notice when Alex slipped in, sticking the printed sheet of paper onto the door with the words 'Flooding from the bathrooms. The gym is currently being cleaned, sorry for the inconvenience' on the outside of the door. He then missed the quick tapping on the phone and the resounding click of the door being locked from the inside. Alex had planned everything extremely well, even the cameras showing a loop of a few months ago, when James had again been training on his own in extremely similar clothes. 

Alex's first thought was does he have just one set of workout clothes? I mean seriously, his weird choices are making my life just that bit easier.

James was in the zone, not even noticing when Alex put her gym bag on the bench next to his, strapped on some boxing gloves and went to the bag he was at and said something did he look up from his trance.

"Hi," Alex started. She tilted her head at the bag and lifted her eyebrows, "you mind?"

"Yes."

"Well tough. I need to train," then she muttered something else under her breath, just loud enough for James to catch, "And I need to get out some anger that's built up thanks to a group of lying nitwits." Then she looked up and plastered a huge fake smile on.

James just looked at her weirdly. "There's not enough space on this bag so come back later."

She fake pouted. "Sorry, can't do that. It seems the door is locked and I can't get out. I guess I'm stuck in here with you."

James narrowed his eyes. "What did you do?"

"Little old me, why nothing. Nothing at all." She couldn't hide the glimmer in her eye. James let out a low growl. That just made Alex laugh. When he looked back up at her, she saw something go off in his head and just like that, his personality switched, like he just remembered who he was supposed to be.

"Oh, well it's good to see you," now she wasn't blinded by hope and familiarity, the smile he flashed her way was forced. Fake.

And she couldn't take any more of it.

Alex rolled her eyes. "Oh cut out the act, I know all about your little personality switch, and a whole lot of other stuff too."

His eyes widened slightly as he took in the new information. Then he smirked. "At least I don't have to pretend anymore. So let me guess, Ava told you everything."

"No, I have telepathic abilities. I looked into your mind and now know all of you deepest, darkest, most embarrassing secrets." She crossed her arms and shot him a withering look.