Chapter 23

"Can you please explain to me what happened out there. The girl was in our grasp but you let her go, in fact you helped her leave. That is not what we put you on the mission for."

"I know but-"

"No buts. I expected more from you. We expected more from you. Your slip up has made a mess and, once again, I have to clear it up."

"Slip up? It wasn't time and I did what I meant to do."

"Wasn't time? Who the hell do you think you are! You have no power, no control over this. You listen to and follow my orders, the hell it's the other way round."

"But I know more about this. I'm the one in the bloody field! I'm the one lying to people around me so I can to this job to the best of my ability! It's not the right time!"

"Oh really? Well, if you think it's not the right time then we shall all cater to you every whim then shall we? You have no power! You do what I tell you to do and nothing else, get it through your thick skull." He let out an angry growl.  "I need to know you are still committed to this cause. This girl has information that we need to finally rid this world of the virus. If worst comes to worst, you must kill the girl to get the information."

"This girl, she isn't some useless person you can just dispose of! She has a life! She is just a kid, like m-"

"Silence! Are you committed? Can we count on you to do the right thing at the end of the day?"

"Yes, but-"

"You better be. You can stay on the assignment for now but one more slip up, one more false move or one word of of place and you can wave goodbye to your little friend." They ended the call with a final click of the button.

"This little feather is diverging from the cause," he said to statue standing silently in the corner. "Though my little hunter did well though, on both occasions."

"What do you suggest we do now?"

"Let's try another approach. The other little feather should still be loyal. Let's bring him in."