Mixed Signals

Kaito, while relaxed, was slowly growing a bit antsy in front of the television. Shinichi kept shooting him glances which the magician obviously noticed, not helping the situation. His heart was beating so fast inside his chest, his stomach felt warm. And of course, Kaito's half of Pandora was happily cheering along to his heartbeat.

Shinichi took a deep yet loud breath, making Kaito flinch a bit since he had been deep in his thoughts. What was going on with him? Kaito pulled out a pack of cards to start playing around with them, eyes desperately fixated onto his distraction.

"Kuroba? You okay?"
Kaito tensed. The question was bound to come. Inhaling sharply, the magician closed his eyes for a moment to formulate an answer inside his thoughts.
"...my heart is pounding. I feel pulled towards you, more than usual. Is something going on with Pandora? Hopefully not."
Shinichi froze as Kaito pulled out his Pandora to check it. If that was in sync with Kuroba's heart, he was kind of worried about this.
"What do you mean?"

Shinichi pulled out his other half and looked on it. While beating fast, he didn't feel different than usual.
"I'm just fine, no difference."
"So... It's me? Not Pandora?" Kaito's voice sounded so cute and confused Shinichi had to suppress a sly smile.
"...to be honest, I did miss you quite a bit on tour. I would have taken you along if it wasn't too risky with the cameras and attention..."
Kaito sighed, letting his deck of cards disappear as he raked a hand through his hair to muss it up a little.
"I don't get it."

Silence fell over these two again, and both awkwardly looked back at the tv. Shinichi's thoughts were running wild, why did Kaito have to say this? Now he was becoming just as antsy. At least the tv gave off some noise.

"...Kuroba?"
"Hm?"
Shinichi fell silent again. He didn't want to become pushy and end up chasing Kaito away. But he knew Kaito was just being a dimwit about this, if he remembered that well, he was always a bit clumsy about his own feelings.
Shinichi got up, earning a soft crack of his back as he stretched himself, watched by a pair of curious eyes.
"Kuroba you are such an idiot."
"What- hey!"
Shinichi bent over the magician on the couch, frowning softly, one hand placed onto the back rest next to Kaito's head for some support.

"Why are you doing this, Bakaito?"
Kaito frowned himself, not quite sure what Shinichi wanted of him. And also please, kindly back off will you?
"What are you talking about?"
Shinichi rolled his eyes and stood back up again, shaking his head in disbelief. Seriously?
"Forget it. I'm going to bed."
"Now wait a bit!"
Kaito immediately jumped up and speedwalked after Shinichi who seemed to grow more and more annoyed.
"I'm not waiting."
"Why are you leaving?!"
"You know exactly why I am!"
"I don't! You don't even sleep, why would you be going to bed?!"
"So what if I don't, I meditate sometimes!"
"Shinichi stop!"

Kaito caught his arm and pulled him backwards with a huff, glaring at him. Shinichi flinched and fell back, heart skipping a beat. It wasn't usual that Kaito called him by his first name.
"What are you on about?! What did I do?!"
Kaito was searching in Shinichi's eyes for a hint on what was going on, his own indigo ones filled with anger. The silence was deafening, both parties frozen in place, glaring at each other.

You're such an idiot. Sometimes I really fucking hate you.

Shinichi turned in his grip and reached up to grab a hand full of Kaito's hemd, pulling him close to mere inches from his face.
"You idiot..." was the only thing that spilled from his lips, in a deep and angry voice. Kaito shivered, losing a bit of his composure. He was so confused. What on earth was going on?
Silence fell again over these two, neither party letting go of the other as they glared at each other in a staring contest.
Kaito was growing less and less confident in this, he had no idea what Shinichi was on about. Why was he so angry?

It wasn't until a wellplaced push brought a wall against his back and lips found their way on his own that he got the slightest hint of clearance about this.

Oh.

Shinichi was pinning him against the hallway wall, kissing him, destroying a chance of freedom with just a few wellplaced grips. So he did know Kaito this well, huh? Kaito felt a bit lightheaded, so absolutely caught off guard. It was difficult to form a coherent thought.

Shinichi...

His mind was whirling around the name of the single person who forced his world into an upside down. Eyes fluttered closed, Kaito found himself slowly kissing back. Did he like it? He wasn't sure but his heart was close to jumping out of his ribcage.
A shiver went down his spine as he gave in, just relaxing, letting Shinichi do and doing his best to go along with it. He could feel the anger in his lips, his movements, and yet it was dying down as realisation sunk into Shinichi's veins.

The former detective parted, eyes lingering on his lips before moving upwards to Kaito's indigo ones filled with confusion, uncertainity and somewhat dizziness.
"Oh man you're doing things to me that no one should do... I keep losing composure with you acting like this. Stop it. Make me hopes once you mean it."
With that, Shinichi vanished into their bedroom and Kaito slid down at the wall onto the ground, trembling a little bit in shock and adrenaline, but there was something more to it. His heart was hammering like crazy and his stomach felt like about to combust.

He did not expect Shinichi going all out like this. Fingers reaching to touch his own lips, he could feel the tingling sensation Shinichi left behind.
A few minutes later, guilt began to crawl up his body. Truth to be told, now that he thought about it, he was acting a bit stupid. Giving mixed signals really wasn't his usual cup of tea but he didn't quite understand himself either anymore; couldn't recognize his own behavior anymore.

I'm just going to leave him alone for now... I think he needs to calm down first. And so do I.