Do you even care?

Haibara smiled at the young detective laying on the wet grass like a seven year old idiot he used to be, enjoying the comfortable atmosphere. She wasn't quite sure what to do now, thus she dismissed the entire bundle of thoughts and just stood there, watching, enjoying to see her friend so lively like he hadn't been before.

After a long while, Shinichi finally relaxed again and slowly sat up; the realization he had been living out his antics in front of not only Haibara (god he wasn't going to hear the end of it) but also the person who was most likely his Kaitou KID made him mildly sheepish. The young detective rose from the ground and awkwardly dusted off his clothes; they felt grimy with sweat and Pandora's blood still glued onto him, and the wet grass hadn't exactly helped there.
The sleuth shot a glare at his best friend who did hard to stifle her chuckling, then his eyes finally darted over to the man who made sure to hide his identity as usual. A tiny bit of frustration gnawed at Shinichi's guts- he could clearly see the face in front of him was nothing but a mask. Yet he knew more than well enough who was below it.

"...Kaitou KID. It's you, right?"
His sapphire eyes smiled even if his face kept a perfect pokerface. Kaito tilted his head, silent, shadowing his face as perfect as always. The colour of his eyes was disturbing, glowing, reflecting the moonlight casted upon them.
Purple, bleeding into a speck of red.
A tiny gust of wind sent a shiver down the detective's back as he shifted from one leg to the other, averting his eyes, trying to shake off the uncomfortable feeling KID's stare projected into his guts.

Were those the same eyes he had missed all those years?

Tension rose and Haibara swallowed, unsure how to react to this. Why wasn't KID saying anything? She flashed a glance back and forth between them, then finally took a step back and sat down on one of their bags, eying the two with interest gleaming in her eyes.

When KID finally spoke, he was calm, collected, yet at the same time so unlike the way he had spoken to him before. Shinichi didn't recognize the man he had grown attached to over the months, whose life he had seen countless times through his eyes, the lonely man whose life had been still filled with joy.
"Pandora, Meitantei."
Kaito stretched his hand out, indigos fixating sapphires. Shinichi huffed and shook his head in disbelief; he desperately tried to conceal how his heart had skipped a beat at the too familiar voice.
"I can't believe that's your greeting, KID. Where is the flashy entrance? The 'Ladies and Gentlemen'?"

The thief before him paused for a second, giving him a calculating look.
"I retired, Meitantei. Kaitou KID does no longer exist."
Shinichi let out a dry laugh. Slowly but surely, he could feel his pulse rising, anger pooling into his guts.
"Obviously. You've left me just like that. Poof, gone. After playing games with me for months, after making me fear for the lives of my friends. I should hate your guts, bastard."
Kaito kept his silence, unfazed, and by god it was pissing Shinichi only more off. The sleuth was beginning to talk himself into a rage, hatred filling his eyes as he glared at the former phantom thief, words laced with venom.
"Do you even have a single idea what I've gone through?! Bit by bit everyone I cherished was gone, every few days I had to run against time to try and prevent you from stealing more of the only bits of sanity I could keep through them! What went on in your head?! You sick bastard!!"
Kaito wanted to say something but his mouth was dry; calm eyes kept observing the raging detective in front of him. This felt oddly familiar.
"All this?! All this just to vanish on me?! D-do you even realize how hurt I was?! You hurt me, KID, you hurt me so much I can't even put it into words!!"

ALL THIS?! ALL THIS FOR A GEM?!

Kaito lifted his hand to pull his baseball cap a tiny bit lower, obscurring his eyes from Shinichi's view, lips curling up into a tiny smirk. He had gone through this once, he would go through this again. This was no biggie, right? After all, he had once been Kaitou KID. Important was to keep his pokerface.
"Pandora, Meitantei. Hand it over."
Shinichi froze, rant dying out on his tongue. The last sparks of hope that KID could actually care for him, regret what he had done to him, acknowledge the fact that this had been a step way too far into personal space, it had been drained from his eyes until sparkling sapphire was left a lifeless blue.
"No."

A dull laugh emitted from his throat as Shinichi shook his head, hand automatically wandering into his pocket to hold Pandora tight.
"You don't even care, right? You just came back for this stupid stone. I can't believe it. I'm just another detective you managed to fool in your childish antics of ruining people's lives."
Kaito breathed out a soft sigh, a small movement of his fingers was enough to bring his own half of the gemstone to light, allowing Shinichi to eye it under the moonlight.
"The blood is equal to glue, Meitantei. It will all stop once the gem is whole again. Hand it over, Meitantei. Then it'll be all over. All of it."

Shinichi shook his head once more, weight shifting onto one leg while his lips curled up into a grin, yet it was empty and smug at the same time.
"Uh-huh. And then you'll run off again and disappear into nowhere just like last time. Forget it."
The sleuth approached Kaito with fast steps and grabbed a hand full of his sweater, pulling him close to meet his eyes. Kaito willingly let it happen, he wasn't a man of violence and as long as Shinichi wasn't going to overstate, he had no plans of defending himself.

I deserve that. I deserve this all. I've brought nothing but misfortune over everyone I was with, while I was bathing in luck. Go on, Meitantei. Let it all out. It wouldn't be the first time.

Shinichi was glaring deep into his eyes and Kaito felt somewhat antsy by how close his counterpart was, yet what he spewed out next rendered him speechless.
"If this gem is all it takes to keep you here... You'll have to murder me to get onto my half. You're not getting away again, KID. This time, you'll stay with me. And I won't fucking let you go again."