Inspections

Haibara shivered within the cold breezes outside, hugging herself as she made her way through Kudo's yard to go into his backyard. Shadows around her casted by trees and bushes made it easier for her to hide than she had first assumed. Quiet rustling within the leaves covered her every step while she rounded the house, careful to avoid any light coming from the windows.

I wonder if Shinichi can see better in the dark, now that he has Pandora in his blood...

As soon as a light close by shut down, she jumped out of reflex into the rows of flowers growing nearby and ducked herself to blend into her surroundings. Shinichi was more than awake. Inwardly, she cursed. How many nights had it been? Fifteen? Shinichi wasn't in need of sleep any longer and that made the brooding frustration inside Haibara only stronger. She honestly hoped there was any way for her to find a cure to him... But her hopes weren't high at all.

I never found a cure for the previous poison either... How am I able to cure supposedly magic?

Haibara waited for another minute until she decided to move further. It didn't last long until she reached the garden of statues and couldn't help but smile as she passed the statue of Agasa-hakase. That old man had really helped them a lot in the past until he had died of old age. Another wave of guilt hit her; both Shinichi and her had really strained the old man's nerves until his very last day. Though without him, they would have never come as far as they were today.
KID's statues were greatly taken care of by her friend, that was obvious. Not one bit of moss or ivy covered the stone KID had carefully carved out of blocks, and the forget-me-nots had been watered and fertilized.

It was easy to find Shinichi's statue, it had a gigantic hole inside its chest. Haibara finally allowed herself to stand up again in front of it, then took her flashlight and began to examine the hole. Dried blood was visible inside, untouched by wind and weather, even if the rest had been washed off immediately within the rainstorm occuring last week. Shinichi hadn't even bothered to try and seal it, Haibara noted with surprise. Maybe the gem had kept him too fascinated to actually remember he had to close the hole again before anybody could have become suspicious.
Haibara sighed. Sometimes she wanted to slap Shinichi on the back of this thick and stubborn head.

Much to her dismay, nothing was left on the statue she could have taken a closer look at. Eyes wandering towards the Kudo manor, another plan crossed her mind before she decided to toss it away again. All her efforts weren't worth a penny if Shinichi wasn't going to cooperate.

If he would only part from this stupid gem...!

Clenching her teeth, Haibara gathered her last bravery and marched around the house, skipping the last step towards the door. For a moment hesitation overcame the young woman until she finally raised her fist and hammered against the door, startling Conan out of his comfortable chair. Curious, Conan put his book down onto the table and raised himself. A visitor? At this time of the day? He wasn't particulary fond of opening the door at a time like this, Edogawa Conan was as much of a skilled detective as Kudo Shinichi was- the number of suspects he had put behind bars exceeded his own knowledge. It wasn't a rare occurence that he had been made a target by his enemies.
Nevertheless, curiosity won over him and Conan took the steps towards his main door, peering through the doorspy to come face to face with a mad looking all too familiar scientist. Finally at ease, Conan opened the door and his mouth to greet her but was rudely cut off by Haibara's demands.
"Enough of this. Hand over the gem, Shinichi."
Puzzled, Conan met those fierce and stubborn eyes without any reaction, needing a moment to comprehend what his friend was actually asking for. A minute of unpleasant silence later, Conan let out a huff and shook his head.
"No."
Haibara's eyes softened up and desperation overcame her face, Conan took mild interest in her weird behavior. He hadn't seen her like this for months, maybe even years. What had riled her up so much that she came in the dead of the night for such a discussion?

"Look, Shinichi..." Haibara began, carefully choosing her next words- she was fully aware Conan had the power of just closing the door in front of her nose and be done with her talk. "This gem... It's name is Pandora. At least, that's the codename the Black Organization had been labelled it with."
"Pandora?" the young male repeated with a slight bit of concern in his voice. Slowly but surely, he began to become worried. Haibara was acting pretty unnerved by this.
"Shinichi... I have reason to belief that the gem has affected you with its powers. It... has been on the main list of targets to attend within the Black Organization."
Haibara didn't like this but she had to reveal the truth in order to get Conan to cooperate. Her instinct told her he wasn't even going to put the stone out of his pocket or hand, proven to be true as said one fiddled with something and the tiniest hint of blue flashed up in the pale moonlight. Conan paled at the news yet his voice of reason calmed him in the next second. It wasn't so out of mind that this gem was something special... KID's goal must have been worth it for him to be moonlighting as a shiny white 'Shoot me' target.

And suddenly, it made sense.
His lack of sleep.
His inability to consume any nutrients.
The energy burst he felt day by day.

Conan stared at his friend, pale faced. Haibara could see in his eyes that he had realized what this meant- Conan wasn't stupid and a nickname of Pandora gave quite a bit away about the gem's abilities.

"I... I'm immortal."