A Garden of Statues

Conan stared at the wooden cover of his coffin with shock twisting his facial muscles, Pandora faintly illuminating his grave as usual. No, he wasn't mistaken, he had seen the oh so familiar outlines of the Beikan cemetery through KID's eyes. KID was here, he had come from him, and this knowledge set a wave of panic and joy at the same time through his stiff body.

Is it physical possible that I could gain his attention by screaming as loud as possible?

Conan was tempted to try but knew it had no chance to get through to his rival's ears. With the wind knocked out of his sails, the detective voiced a groan and closed his eyes again, falling into deep thoughts. It was frustrating to say the least, KID was so close and he couldn't do anything to reach out to him. It was killing him, being unable to do anything now that his freedom was so close.

Wait a second... My visions have been appearing more frequent than before... But no, I would become tired way too fast before any new vision would reach him...

So the idea of waving with Pandora in front of his eyes would fall away, too. He was going to try it for a while since he wasn't going to get any better idea so soon.

***

After only a few hours of staying inside his hotel room, Kaito had already left it again. He felt even more restless than usual, it felt suffocating to say the least, staying hidden away inside his room.

Half past 3am... Where would I want to go now?

Kaito, dressed in black and with his trademark cap shielding his face from any unpleasant people recognizing him, found himself in front of an all too familiar building. The outlines of the eery house had just started to sink in as Kaito's feet already marched through the entrance and followed a small path into the backyard.
Slightly stunned, Kaito froze on his spot, wind playing with the bits of hair sticking out from below his cap.

How long has it been since his death? A month? Two?

And yet the statues looked so well cared for, so loved and cherished by his old rival. Not one root of ivy stained the rocks he had chiseled into a masterpiece, no moss ramed his creations. Before he could registrate it, Kaito's hand was outstretched and trailing along Hattori Heiji's motorcycle, driving along the precise lines he had created, eyes closed to cherish the memory of the days and nights he had worked to present his Meitantei a collection of his friends formed into stone.

I wanted to put you at ease... No matter how many people have died around you, in your arms...

Kaito reopened his eyes, lips curling up into a fond and warm smile. His hand had travelled onto Masumi's outstretched foot, remembering the awful kick to his face she had given him. A grimace hushed over his face- that had hurted for a good while. And all that in front of his Meitantei! A feeling of mortification settled into Kaito's guts and he quickly moved on, trying to shake it off.

I created something for you that wasn't going to fade out of your life before you would have done.

Crouching down in front of the proud Shounen Tantei, the male couldn't help but smile at their proud and confident faces. Maybe he should have put some research into them, too. Were the Shounen Tantei still solving mysteries?
Even without his Meitantei, KID knew that had potential.
"I never imagined..."
Kaito murmured out loud, trailing off in the same second as he realized he had become vocal.

I never imagined your end to be so fast, Meitantei.

The magician made his round slowly past each and every statue, purposely avoiding to look at the one proudly kneeling inside the middle of his circle. This was past, he kept chanting in his thoughts, this wasn't something needing to be dug up again. He didn't need to see his alter ego, admire what he had once been, cherish the goal he had had so long ago.

Reaching the statue he had put the most effort into, Kaito froze and was apalled by what he discovered. For a good minute Kaito stood there, eyes wide, staring at the dark and empty hole in front of him, an equally large hole slowly spreading inside his heart. Nervousity began to bubble up inside his guts, Kaito felt sick.

Shinichi... Shinichi's chest... it's empty... It's empty..!!

His vision began to blur, adrenaline flared in his veins. Why was it empty?! He had stored it away so well! Who took it?! How long was it gone? His throat went dry with all those thoughts firing up a hurricane inside his brain.
Kaito inspected his surrounding as if any of the Crows would jump at him for this discovery. Hand clutching his own half of Pandora, Kaito felt it pulsing at the recognition of its second half's blood.

Where is it?! Where is it?! Where is it?!

Wild indigo eyes scanned every meter of the ground, the statues, even behind bushes. It couldn't have been gone. That was impossible.
Kaito fell onto his knees and began to dig barehanded into the flowers he had planted years ago, ripping the plants and dirt apart.

It could have fallen out and buried itself! Right! That's good! It will be here! I just need to continue!

His breath was alarmingly fast, his throat felt like closed up. Pandora wasn't here. Would all his efforts go to waste? What if the Crows took it?
Kaito wanted to cry, scream and laugh at the same time. Wind howling around the black figure, Kaito kept digging deeper and deeper until a stern yet sad voice forced him to stop.

"Kudo found Pandora, KID. He took it."

Kaito whirled around to stare at the woman with the all too familiar labcoat, clutching her clipboard in hand. His mind was unable to process what he had just heard.

"I figured you would sooner or later come here."