Chapter 9 || Percy

-4 YEARS LATER-

Percy walked through the halls of the water facility.

"Mr. Jackson, the country of Afghanistan needs clean water," a worker said with a clipboard. "Investigators said that the waters there aren't clean anymore."

"Poseidon and I are working together to create a device to clean up the waters." Distantly, Percy added to himself as he walked. "For now, tell the Clean Lives program to start sending in the water tanks for the people. The gadget is almost done."

"Copy that."

"Mr. Jackson, there's been a dispute about the amount of plastic bottles used. Gaea is trying to start a war to take the Olympians down right now."

"She's not wrong about the plastic, though," Percy frowned, "Let's start by recycling to see how that works. I'll talk to Jason about creating a filter to stop the pollution from reaching the air, and I'll talk to Hephaestus about creating another material that isn't plastic that is biodegradable."

"Copy that."

"Sir, Apollo just called and said that the sun has nothing to shield it from burning the forests."

"Turn on the clouds, but don't do too many. Let out some more mist into the atmosphere to balance out the heat," Percy responded.

"Right."

The sound of heels and shoes clacking against the tiles were everywhere. But what Percy learned from age 14 when he first started to take over the water facility to take some stress off his dad's back, is that people love to ask questions. When Percy finally made it out of the water facility, he sighed.

Why was he taking over the water facility? Why was he helping with the making of all these gadgets? In hopes that Poseidon would finally want to meet Percy again. Because Poseidon seemed to be too busy to even spare Percy a glance. He ground his teeth bitterly. He had left his mother alone. He'd left his three ex-best friends alone. All for a father who didn't even spare Percy a glance.

That's when his watch beeped and Percy remembered that Poseidon could read his thoughts if he was paying attention.

I'm sorry, Percy.

That's what the holographic message said.

It's okay, Dad. I just wish I could see you more.

Percy responded.

I know, me too. But rules are rules. It's to keep you safe.

Percy sighed, knowing Poseidon was right. So he nodded.

I know.

With that, Percy closed off his watch and walked over to his blue bulletproof car. He made sure his shades were on so no one could see his sea-green eyes as he drove through the streets of Manhattan back to the safe house. He sighed when he saw Thalia, Nico, and Annabeth sitting at the ice cream shop they used to go to all the time. But Percy couldn't go back.

Not if that meant hurting them.

It'd been years since Percy had seen them last. When he was twelve. But now, he wasn't going to turn back. He had Jason, Piper, Leo, Frank, and Hazel. It was okay. His life was moved on from them.

But he couldn't move on from Annabeth, no matter how hard he tried.

What Percy did was push her out of his mind. He didn't think about her. Not one second of his life. He'd learned that spies and assassins didn't let emotions get the best of them. That was his mistake when Luke betrayed them. And it hurt.