Chapter 52 || Percy

Percy had never been a serious guy. He'd always been that one class clown in the back of the room, spitting paper balls at the teacher just so he could "take a walk" outside the classroom. What he really did was try to sneak to the vending machine so he could buy a Gatorade or a some chips. Class troublemaker. Who'd think he'd be a spy?

What frustrated Percy was that everyone still thought he was a dummy. Like that time in class earlier on in the week when a guy turned around to ask for help.

"Hey, can you help me with..." the boy trailed off, looking at Percy. "Oh, it's you. Never mind, I'll find someone else to help me with my homework."

The truth was, Percy knew what the answer was the moment he saw the question. And the boy still got it wrong after he asked the person next to him. So here he was, training. All he did was train. His life was training, school, fighting, war, and blank faces. He was a spy. Showing emotions was a sign of weakness.

He exhaled, draping a small white towel over his neck and wiping off the sweat that was dripping down his shirt and was beaded on his forehead. Ever since what had happened in the school five months ago, he'd been a little more guarded than usual. The vision of Piper and Annabeth, both being restrained... It had him jumpy. Impulsive.

It was dangerous.

"Hey, Seaweed Brain."

Annabeth walked into the training room, two cups of lemonade in her hands.

"Hey, Wise Girl."

She gave him a kiss to the lips before she handed him a glass. "You've been training?"

"Yeah." Percy took a sip of the cool lemon drink. "Have you trained today?"

"I was just about to," Annabeth said, motioning to the outfit.

"You've gotten better," Percy noted. "I'm proud of you. All of you."

"Well, we have the best teacher," Annabeth replied, giving him a peck to the nose.

Percy chuckled, pulling her in for a long kiss. When they pulled away, he got up off the bench, taking off his shirt to relieve some of the heat he was feeling.

"I'm gonna go take a shower," he said. "Are we still on for a movie night tonight?"

"Yeah," Annabeth replied.

A smile reached his face as he exited the gym. Even if it wasn't common for Percy to have emotions, they were slowly all coming back to him and it was a good feeling.

Dangerous... his mind hissed.

Well, dangerous was how Percy rolled. He didn't care.

I'm gonna die anyways, he thought to himself as he rinsed off in the shower. What matters is that I get rid of Kronos and Gaea so they can't hurt the people I love. Then, I don't care if I live or die.

It was true. Every word. He suddenly gasped in pain when a large slash appeared on his chest out of nowhere. And the water didn't help it much. It just stung for a bit before it ceased to a steady, burning pain.

"What the..." Percy trailed off when he heard screaming below.

Finishing his shower as quickly as he could, he took a towel and began to dry off, consequently coating the fluffy whiteness with blood. He didn't care. Quickly wrapping some bandages around his chest and putting on a new shirt, he ran down the halls and out into the open to find Sabrina on the floor, coughing and spluttering as she choked on the air. To his horror, he saw the same size of a slash across her chest, her gray eyes wide with fear.

The moment she spotted him, she began to yell his name.

"Percy!" she coughed. "PERCY!"

"I'm here!" Percy dashed to her side. "Will... can you?"

He pleaded with the medic as he looked at the dying form of his friend. A person he looked to as a sister.

"No..." Will whispered. "I can't save her. She's gonna die."

"NO!" Percy let out an anguished scream. "NO! NO! NO!"

He sobbed, his tears flowing onto Sabrina's face. She wiped his tears lovingly with her thumb.

"Percy..." she wheezed. "You will always be my brother, no matter who our parents are."

"Sabrina..." Percy sobbed.

"Take..." Sabrina gasped for breath as she pointed to the five new recruits, who were staring at her in shock. "Take good care of them... I didn't get them here for nothing..."

"I will..." Percy tried to stop crying. "I will. I promise."

"The war... the war has started." Sabrina said this to everyone as her voice wobbled. "D-Don't send out any more scouts. T-They know... They know... Bring them all back... Don't let anyone out or they'll end up... like me..."

Sabrina's gaze traveled back to Percy's horrified one. They were full of urgency.

"You need... you need to look... in the drawer... the bedside drawer... gray notebook..." she gasped, her eyes fluttering. "My time is up..."

"No..." Percy whispered, his tears flowing out like a flooded dam. "No... NO!"

"The Ultimate Guide to Death... Page 167..." Sabrina whispered to him, shoving something in his palm before her eyes glazed over and she fell limp, staring into nothingness.

It was all silent before the nerves seemed to get back into Percy's body. He could feel himself. Numb as he was, he stood up. His tears didn't stop. Kneeling down, he closed her eyes gently with two fingers so that she looked as if she was peacefully sleeping.

"I'm sorry..." he whispered to her. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you..."

You could've saved her, you idiot! his mind screamed at him. YOU ARE A MURDERER!

Her dead body was etched in his brain as they took her body away on a stretcher. Then, Sabrina's voice came back to Percy.

The Ultimate Guide to Death... Page 167. My bedside drawer... the gray notebook.

He then felt the item she had put into his hands and realized it was the key to her bedroom. So he took off running.

"PERCY!" Annabeth's yell came. "PERCY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!"

Percy ignored everything. Sprinting, he burst through the door to Sabrina's room and looked in her bedside table, pulling out the gray notebook.

Sabrina's Log of Information

Even before she died, she was smart enough to make one.