Chapter 13 || Percy

After school, most kids filed out to go buy ice cream, go to the skatepark, or just hang out. Not Percy. He got in his car, pulling the trunk open. When he found his suit, he quickly put it in his backpack, along with his weapons and equipment. Sneakily, he slinked into the boys' restroom, locking himself in a stall. When he had changed, he used his watch to mist-travel out.

"Jason?" Percy whispered as he contacted him through the watch.

"I'm here," Jason's voice came.

"Have you seen a trace of Mark's gang?"

"No."

"They normally split up into groups of two or three to scrounge around, but they contact each other when they find a target. If you see someone who they're looking at, tell them something so they'll get away, but be careful. Get out of there the moment the kid's gone."

"Got it," Jason and the others all said.

Percy hated playing leader, but it seemed like everyone elected him to be one. He also had the most experience with Mark's gang, which made it easier for him to understand where Mark would be and what he was looking for. He chuckled slightly. Over his years with being a spy, he learned that most people imagined spies to be wearing suits almost like wetsuits or scuba-diving suits, where it stuck to you like it was skin. 

No. It was simply a pair of black sweatpants that were slightly tighter than the loose, baggy sweatpants Percy wore in his leisure time, and a black long sleeved shirt with a bulletproof undershirt. Of course, the sweatpants weren't soft and pillowy like the ones teenagers lounge in while watching TV. They were made of a material similar to one you'd find on a rain jacket. Percy knew from his first year of training that black combat boots were a must.

What had scared Percy from his first day of training was that the first thing they learned was to dodge bullets to the head effortlessly, to avoid instant death. Yep. It wasn't as uncommon as you'd think it was.

"Percy!" Jason hissed and Percy's head snapped down at his watch.

"I'm here... What?"

"I think I might see one of Mark's goons. She got separated from the rest of them when her partner had to go to the restroom."

"Where are you right now? Also, everyone! Jason's got one!"

"We're at the gas station. But be careful, she's armed with guns and knives. I saw her hide them in her pockets and shoes."

"Copy that. We'll be right there!"

Percy slunk across the pipes of the building, running across the tops of them. When he reached the edge, he jumped off, landing on the building behind the gas station.

"I see you," he said into his watch when he spotted Jason in the corner, hidden from view.

"Can you get to me?"

"I'll see... I think I'll use mist-travel since I'm not near anyone."

Suddenly, Jason was next to him and it nearly scared Jason out of his hiding spot.

"Jeez..." Jason let out a quiet breath.

Percy caught sight of the girl.

"Ooh..." Percy winced. "This girl seems to be armed in case there's a group attack. It's best if the rest wait in backup. We can't tire ourselves out at once."

"But what about the person in the gas station?"

"We can send someone in there to lock the doors, but make sure you knock out the cashier and anyone there first. No traces that we were there. You just need to make sure he doesn't help the girl out there and that you might catch him too."

"Got it," everyone said.

"I can take the girl, everyone else just be hiding nearby. Are you all at the gas station right now?"

"Here," all of them said at once.

"Good," Percy whispered, looking at the girl. "I think she might sense we're here."

The girl started to turn towards the gas station, her face showing contemplation.

"I think she's gonna get her partner and run! We have to stop them first."

"I'm inside," Hazel hissed, "I can lock down all the doors and dart everyone."

"Good." Percy panicked when he saw the girl walking towards the entrance. "Do it now!"

Before the girl could get in, the doors slammed shut, locking. Every door was locked. Percy noticed Jason wasn't at his side. He must've gone in. So as the girl realized what was happening, Percy jumped to her and the fight began. He kicked her in the stomach first, and she punched him in the face. He rolled as she tried to swing at him, simply pulling her leg with him as he rolled to throw her off balance.

"She's calling for backup!" Percy yelled as the girl reached for her phone.

He kicked the phone out of her hand as the call button was pressed. Before he could end the call, the girl grabbed him, throwing him roughly against an empty car. She started to say something, but Percy took out a hose he found plugged into the wall and hosed the phone, causing it to crackle and electrocute her slightly. She fell to the floor, but that victory didn't last long as she kicked Percy as he ran forward.

Percy winced as he heard his rib crack, but he ducked as she pulled out her sword. He uncapped Riptide, going in. Blades clashed as Percy fought, managing to cut her leg. Killing her wasn't the intention. Wounding her so that she couldn't run? That was a better solution. They wanted to squeeze the information out of her. And knowing Mark, if anyone followed him, they must've been just as cowardly. 

With his moment's hesitation, the girl managed to stab him, even if he dodged. She got his leg, pulling the knife out with her assumed bloody victory. Percy felt pain everywhere in his right leg, but he kicked her down, breaking her leg when he tackled her. He avoided a slash to the face, rolling around with her on the floor. She managed to make a gash in his stomach before he managed to hit her head against the concrete a couple of times, knocking her out cold.

He panted, blood seeping into his black shirt. Though, it wouldn't be hard to wash. It was black for a reason.

"Guys, she's down!" he panted into his watch, "Leo, you got the truck?"

"Already here!"

Percy tied up the girl, gagged her, and threw her in the van's trunk. Luckily, there weren't any mortals passing behind the gas station, so it didn't look suspicious.

"Hazel, you got the guy?"

"Got him! He's conscious, but we bound him up and he's just wiggling."

"Get him in the trunk," Piper emerged from an alleyway, "Mark's gang is a few blocks down and we need to get out of here."

Hazel, Frank, and Jason emerged from the store, dragging a writhing boy behind them. Percy quickly took a syringe full of sedative and injected it into the boy's arm, watching as the boy went limp.

"Get him in."

They loaded him next to the girl while they all got in, Frank hopping in to take all their weapons in case they tried to escape and kill them. It was possible. When Frank came back with all their weapons, Percy sighed, leaning back.

"Whoa, Perce..." Clarisse said, wiping some slick blood off the waterproof and stain proof car seats.

"It's really not that bad compared to what they did last year." Percy waved it off.