Chapter 8

Friday nights spent at the American Airlines Center are always the best.  Jim calls me the second I pull in, feeling somewhat special parking in my designated spot.  The Stars are playing Colorado Avalanche for the second time this season.  Last game we lost 2 to 1, making me even more anxious than usual.  Unlike some other teams in the league, Colorado doesn't get on my nerves.  They have one of my favorite jerseys behind Dallas, of course. 

I make my way to the back of the center, where I'm assuming Jim is, considering he hastily hung up on me when I told him that I was already here.  I pass Demers on the way there, waving at him as I rush by to the back office. 

I haven't seen much of Jamie or Tyler lately.  The optional morning skate resulted in most of the guys resting and Jim not needing my assistance.  I was too occupied with Paige's interrogation to do anything but sit in my apartment the whole morning.  She blew me off again for the game, complaining about a business dinner. 

Jim, who is arranging papers at the desk, looks up when I walk in, seeming pleased with my arrival. 

"Hey Jade, thanks for coming early again.  No pre game interviews but Jamie has one after," he grabs his phone and holds his hand up towards me, "Nill," he rolls his eyes at the conversation, reminding me that we are in fact related.  He takes the phone away from his ear, setting his hand over the microphone, "You can head up to the box, I don't think I need anything help right now,"

"Are you sure? I can tell Jamie about his interview real quick if that helps," I pick my bag back up to leave again. 

"Yeah, that's good, thanks I'll see you soon," he smiles tightly and goes back to the call, turning so that his back is against the door.  I shut the door on my way out, walking back towards the locker rooms. I knock on the locker room door since I'm a bit earlier than usual.  Once I walk in, I see that Jamie is already suited up for the game, only missing his gloves and helmet.  Some of the guys seem to be singing along to what sounds like G-Eazy as they get ready for the game. 

"Hey,"  Jamie looks up from his skates, looking focused and pretty intense. 

"Jade, hey, what's going on?  Do I have another interview?  If I do, can't they just interview Segs, I'm pretty sure that everyone loves him more,"

"That's not true! Why would you think like that, you're the captain you idiot!" I smack him on the side of the head before I sit down on a nearby stool, "You have an interview, but its a post game one so don't get cranky it won't even take that long,"

"It will probably take long," I hear Jordie yell from somewhere in the room.

"Shut up Jordie you aren't helping," I turn back to Jamie, "It won't take long I promise.  If you start getting pissed off or anything I'll tell them to leave," I sit back and place my hands across my chest. 

"I don't think they will listen to a 5'3 intern, but I'll always let you try Jade," Jamie smiles at me as he tries to hold in his laughter.

"My height has nothing to do with authority thank you very much.  And yes, they will listen after all I am the GM's niece,"

"That means crap to the press and we both know it,"

"Sure Benn, whatever you say,"  I get up to start searching through Jamie's bag.  I find what I'm looking for and turn around to leave the locker room.

"You're taking another one of my sweatshirts? I'm not gonna have any by the time you're done,"

"Don't forget, the press will be here for your interview!" I ignore his statement all together, deciding that my warmth is more important than his number of sweatshirts.  I take a look around the locker room as I slip on Jamie's sweatshirt, seeing more of the team starting to look ready for warmups.  I make it to the door without falling over the equipment, right until I slam into a brick wall.  Or something remotely close to that.  My hands go flailing up and down as I fly backwards, and at this point I'm almost positive that I'm going down.  Someone grabs my arm before I hit the ground, pulling me back up against them.  I look up and see Tyler staring at me, clearly bewildered.