Chapter 9

There's four minutes left of the third period, and Tampa Bay Lightning is leading by two points.  Tonight's game has been painful to watch and I can't imagine what it's like for the team right now.  Lindy is probably close to loosing his voice at this point and I feel like if I was in an actual seat I would've heard Jamie screaming in frustration when Tampa scored.  

The Stars started the game like any other, coming out strong but they don't seem like they can catch up anytime soon.  Seconds on the clock tick by, counting down the time the Stars have to put their final effort into the game.  The familiar and not so welcomed sound of the end buzzer signals a loss for the Stars.  Their heads are focused down as they walk towards the locker room.  

"Jade," Jim taps my shoulder, grabbing my attention, "Go tell Tyler he has an interview in thirty minutes," 

I walk down to the locker room from the box, feeling down after the loss.  I don't even wanna know how shitty Tyler is gonna be.  Jamie's talking to the team when I walk in, seeming to be going over their weaknesses of the night.  I spot Tyler's stall among the players, trying to make it over there without interrupting Jamie's speech.  Tyler doesn't look up from the ground when I approach him, leaning down to get closer to his level.  

"You have an interview, the media will be in here in a little less than thirty minutes," he's already changed out of his gear into an Under Armour t-shirt.  

"Is that all you do? Just tell us when we have interviews and stick around during practices?" Tyler finally looks up, his eyes alight with anger.  No matter the stupidness of his insult, I still feel a dig when he snaps at me.  

"Don't go anywhere or Jim will be pissed,"  I don't bother sticking around for another answer on his part, and walk to the side office in the locker room.  This isn't the first Stars loss I've been through while working under Jim.  They suck, no doubt about it, but when a player gets pissed at me, I don't deal with it.  Jamie yelled at me after a loss to the Flyers a few weeks back and I didn't bother getting upset over it.  Jamie seems to be one of the calmer guys compared to Tyler who gets beyond rude when he's mad.  

I log into the computer in the room, sighing loudly as if that will get my anger out.  Jim and Lindy have a small press conference tomorrow that I set up for them to discuss the rest of the season and playoffs.  I answer a few emails that I didn't get to earlier today and check with Jim's schedule for a charity event that he's scheduled for later in the week. 

Before I know it, reporters are showing up in the locker room, here for Tyler's interview.  Tyler looks even more pissed than he was when I was talking to him, having microphones stuffed in his face.  I gather my things, quietly walking around the interviewers as I get to the door.  I can practically hear the anger dripping from Tyler's words as he discusses the game.  

"Can't make excuses for it at this point," I peak up at him as I walk by, meeting eyes immediately.  He runs his hand down his cheek, something that I'd like to do. My subconscious whispers in the back of my mind almost on call.  I push the thought away, not wanting to dwell on any feelings I could actually have for him.  His face stays solemn, maintaining eye contact with me as I walk through the room.  I keep his gaze, narrowing my eyes at him as I finally reach the door and leave him with the press.  

The center has cleared out, the fans are no longer at their seats.  I see Jamie walking out of a side room in the huge center and run over to him.

"Jamie," I call his name out to get his attention.  He stops in his tracks, turning around towards me.  He has a hat on, wearing it backwards as usual with a Stars shirt and athletic shorts.  

"I thought you left already?" he seems a little down, but not as bad as I was expecting.  

"No, I was in the locker room office doing some work but I think I'm heading home now,"