CHAPTER THREE 🐾

Holly Hill Veterinary Hospital

2021.

I'm typing away at the computer when Dante appears out of the prescription room beside me with an enormous bag of drugs for Rex the rescue dog who has a list of problems.

The owners, Maggie and Tim look extremely happy to have their beautiful baby home after a five-day stay here. And by the looks of it, Rex is too, by the way he's bending in half as they greet him.

"I'll leave you with Ellie to book you in for the other appointments," Dante says after reeling off a load of information to them, bending to give the big pup a scrub on the head.

I nod, taking over when he asks Mr Sampson to bring his cat through to the observation room. Maggie gives Rex a big kiss before stepping forward to the reception desk to go over the details.

"We can add that to our insurance, right?" she says unsurely.

Pets are expensive. I get it. I've known people get into thousands of pounds worth of debt before to afford the operations and veterinary care.

I nod. "I'm pretty sure. We will put a sizeable chunk on your insurance, but there may be some to pay. We'll email you the bill towards the end of next month."

She blinks. "Okay. It can get expensive otherwise."

My smile is soft. "I know. I'm typing up the email now to Pet Plan. I'll have to look at your insurance policy to be sure, but we have other dogs with the same illness who get the treatment and medication on their insurance, so I'll try my best for you."

She pushes her blonde curls back with a grateful expression. "You're the best, Ellie. Thank you, darling."

I wave at her. "Oh, no troubles, this is my job. I'm happy to help." I hold my hand out when she produces her card. "There's nothing to pay just yet. Let me get an answer from Pet Plan first."

She hesitates with her card in hand. "Are you sure?"

I nod. "Positive. You all get home for cuddles with your gorgeous boy. The past few days must have been incredibly stressful."

Tim, her husband, speaks up. "It's been hell, but thank you to all you guys here. You have all helped."

The love of the animals has always been important to Dante. I know when he spoke of having his own practice, he always said animals before money. And that's still the case now. It isn't unknown for him to let payment slide when a client is in trouble.

I get up to open the treat box and throw one down to Rex, who scurries to catch the gravy bone in his mouth, eyes begging for another when I pass by him to open the entrance door for them. "We're here anytime, and I mean it. Any trouble, please call us."

They echo their thanks and jog on when Rex bounds out of the door. I laugh, knowing firsthand how strong he is, giving them a wave before shutting the door and going back to the reception desk to carry on with the paperwork.