CHAPTER TWENTY 🐾

It's so good to be back in my groove again

It's so good to be back in my groove again. I'm in my absolute element here. The schedule is jam-packed with lots of interesting things, so I have to narrow it down to the parts I really want to attend.

I'm scribbling away on my notepad, trying to get as much information down as humanly possible. This entire room is inspiring me. They're talking about Addison's disease which is a condition I studied for my thesis.

The vet up on stage offers out some questions and several hands go up. After looking around for a second, I stick my hand up, thinking what the hell to it. A microphone is suddenly in my face, and I'm standing up.

"Ellie Berone from Holly Hill Veterinary Hospital. My question is whether you believe the steroid used to treat the Addison's disease has more detrimental effects on the animals long term, and whether relying solely on the eight weekly injections is an option?"

"Good question, Ellie!" The big guy with wild grey hair says, spouting off into his answer which causes me to fall back into my seat and start scribbling again.

A load more good questions come through from other audience members, causing my hand to cramp up because I can't write any quicker.

Dante will lap this information up too.

A voice clears from beside of me, a middle-aged lady with curly blonde hair smiling back at me. "I'm sorry to pounce on you, but I heard your name and question and knew I needed to introduce myself. I'm Grace Porter from York University."

"Oh," I say, struggling to catch my papers when they slide off my knee. "It's lovely to meet you, Ms Porter."

She helps me pick up my notes. "Grace, please. So, I take it your husband told you about our conversation?"

I blink. "Erm, yes, yes he did. Briefly."

"Great, so with your previous experience and where you are already at with your studies, if you apply, I can happily take you onto next year's course," she says.

"Seriously?" I need to stop blinking so fast.

She laughs. "Yes, very serious. So, what's on your agenda next? Or are you just going to play it by ear?"

I look down at my guide. "I have everything planned out. Im going to area 5 for the Animal Histology lecture."

Grace nods at the woman who passes us, touching her arm to say something before coming back to me. "Good choice. That's my lecture."

"Well, I'll see you there." I laugh.

She holds up her thumbs. "Great stuff."