CHAPTER NINE 🐾

County Lane, Marsh Haven, Lincolnshire

2021.

I get some free time on Sunday to go for another run. It's lovely and bright outside, but cool enough to enjoy the work out. The countryside is a beautiful place. It's a shame I can't concentrate on anything but the tyres crunching behind me.

There's a car following me. I'm certain of it. Every step I take causes them to drive a little closer. I don't dare look back in case they think I know something is up, so I keep pushing on, so exhausted, but too petrified to stop.

My feet are burning so bad from a blister on the back of my heel. It's these damn new trainers. They're supposed to support your knees, but all they're doing is annihilating my feet.

"Ouch!" I say when the top of the heel presses into my blister. I look down and catch sight of the blood on the back of my calf muscle.

I can't stop though. My run is taking me down a narrow road. There isn't a house in sight. It's fields either side of me and one long lane. I'm dead. I can sense it.

I turn back this time to see what I'm up against. It's a small white van. An old looking one. There's rust all over the bonnet and the registration plate is missing.

That isn't a good sign. This feels dangerous, so I unstrap my phone from my arm and call Dante. There's no answer, so I try again, knowing he could be busy with an out of hours animal.

Either I have watched too many true crime documentaries or this is my end. I'm injured, and exhausted. Hardly able to put up a good fight. I close my eyes and start to pray.

All of a sudden, my ringtone plays in my ears and I'm hitting the green button. "Dante, there's a van following me! Can you come get me, please?"

"I'm on my way. Where are you?" he asks and I hear his rubber shoes hitting the plastic floors.

I look around. "I saw a sign for County Lane. There's loads of oak trees."

He's out of breath. "I know it. They been trailing you for long?"

The tiny stones on the road are making it hard to drag my tired legs. "Yes, a while. I'm scared to stop, but I'm so tired."

The sounds of his truck engine brings me some relief. Not long. "Try to keep running. I'm almost there, okay?"

I let out a heavy cough. "Yes. They won't go away."

"Fucking bastards," he murmurs, the roaring sounds of his engine following.

I try to tune into my body, begging for it to keep going. Just a little longer. Two more steps. Then three. Four. Oh, god... cramp in my thigh.

My feet stumble, and I cry out at the pain pulsing through my muscle. Dante shouts down the line, telling me he's turning down County Lane.