CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE 🐾

Elderton Cemetery, Northcotes

Late 2021.

This week marks twenty-one years since mum passed away and the first time I have visited her grave in a very long time. For many reasons, coming here felt impossible, but here I am, feeling such peace when I walk down the pathway leading away from her grave.

I went a bit crazy on the flowers, wanting to make up for so much lost time between us. I have to admit, seeing her stone so dirty and unkempt made me feel like a shitty daughter, but as soon as Dante polished the granite and trimmed around the edges, the guilt disappeared.

"Is that your sister?" I ask him, also spotting Vittoria too as she pops up from the side of the gateway. "And your mum? What's going on?"

Dante squeezes my hand tighter as his shoes click against the pavement. "They're here for the surprise."

We stop dead when I do, having to shield my eyes from the low winter sun when looking up at him. "Tell me what's going on here?"

He laughs, stroking my face and turning to greet his family when they rush towards us.

"It's flipping freezing," says Valentina, squeezing the life out of me. "You look pretty. I love your hair darker."

"The bleach was killing my hair," I say, hugging Vittoria next who rubs her hands together excitedly. "Do you know anything about this surprise?"

We're standing amongst the dead; hardly a nice place to receive a gift.

They keep silent, not wanting to give the game away. Dante grabs my hand and walks us past a few trees until we reach a bench. It's beautiful. The back and arms carved into fancy shapes.

I look up at him, mighty confused. "Dante?"

He smiles. "You might want to take a closer look at the placard."

In memory of Sofia Berone.
Fly free, our sweet angel;
Grandma has you now.

I'm an absolute mess. It's a bench dedicated to Sofia. In mum's cemetery. There isn't a dry eye from us girls. I'm sobbing, Vittoria's dabbing at her eyes and Valentina can't stop the heaves.

"This is the sweetest thing." I drag in my breath and cover my face. "Oh, my gosh, I can't believe it."

Dante takes my hands away from my eyes. "The way we buried her wasn't right. You didn't get a say in it, and that's terrible. I hope this bench helps heal that wound a little for you."

I nod, voice breaking. "It does. It really does."

And him acknowledging it helps too.

He pulls me close and kisses my ear. "I love you."

I put my arms around his strong shoulders and rest up on him for a long while, not able to quite comprehend it all. It feels so good in his arms with the cool breeze blowing around us.