CHAPTER TWELVE 🐾

I turn my Saturday night into a two-hour road trip

I turn my Saturday night into a two-hour road trip. The time alone is nice, and as a treat, I order a huge stone baked pizza which I devour in the truck while I watch people pass me on the seafront under the huge street lights.

The dinner party is in full swing now, as I hear the laughter coming from the open window at the top of the flat when I clean my rubbish out of Dante's truck. I lock up and head to the kennels with my colouring book and pencils.

It's dark in here, like always, the animals sleeping soundly when I check on them. I set the table up by switching on the desk lamp and setting out my book and pencils.

I couldn't resist the funny celebrity faces book when I saw it. I'm halfway through giving Brad Pitt purple hair when the happy chatter from upstairs gains my attention.

Maybe, I should at least go say hello. There's the soft sounds of music and more laughter before I hear my name. It stops me in my tracks. The wooden staircase making one hell of a noise at the sharp motion.

"It's honestly embarrassing. The way she swans around the place like she owns it." It's Jennifer.

Another female voice says something nasty to which Jennifer replies, "I know, right? The silly cow didn't even finish vet school. How does she know anything?"

They all laugh.

Jennifer isn't finished yet. "It wouldn't surprise me if they threw her out for being a complete airhead!"

I turn around to head back down the stairs, not caring if they hear my heavy steps. How could Dante let her speak so horribly about me and not say anything? I guess, he really does hate me as much as I have convinced myself he does.

The heavy sound of the back kennel door squelching open sends me rushing down there, coming to a stop when I see it's Dante. He looks extremely handsome in a pair of cream chinos and a crisp white shirt. I have grown so used to seeing him in nothing but scrubs and Croc shoes that it's a pleasant shock.

"I just went out there looking for you," he says, his smile disappearing once he gets a good look at my face. "What's wrong?"

I'm unsure if it's my place to get involved, but I draw the line at her blatant disrespect. You know, it actually concerns me how okay she is with being so cruel. It isn't a good trait.

I sigh. "I just overheard Jennifer speaking badly about me."

He frowns. "What?"

"I was going upstairs to say hello when I overheard her talking about how I don't have a right to know what I'm talking about because I didn't finish vet school. She said they probably threw me off the course because I'm an airhead."

He frowns again. "What?!"

I shrug. "I've held my tongue for a while now, but your girlfriend has a real problem with me working here. There's been a few times where she's gotten angry at me and shouted down to me in front of clients."