CHAPTER FOURTEEN 🐾

I dream about our wedding day for three nights in a row

I dream about our wedding day for three nights in a row. It always starts with me walking down the aisle with Antonio by my side and Dante furiously dabbing at his eyes with his screwed up tissue. I feel such peace in the moment, but as soon as the priest announces we can kiss, I wake up and an overbearing sense of dread washes over me.

It disturbs me so hard, I struggle to concentrate at work, causing Dante to send me upstairs for a nap when my temples pulse from a persistent migraine.

When the tossing and turning gets annoying, I get up and go in search of the wedding pictures. The album is tucked away in a box, wrapped carefully in delicate tissue paper. I pick out the dried roses from my bouquet and smell them, not completely sure why because the scent went ages ago.

Dante is holding me outside the church on the first one, both of us young and smiling at the camera. The rest are pretty typical of us with family, posing together on a bridge and beside the hay bales.

Lastly, there's a picture of me holding an ultrasound picture over my protruding stomach and Dante is kissing it. It brings me so much joy, I have to lean down and kiss it, rearranging myself on the bed to flip the pages over and over again.

I must have fallen to sleep at some point because when my eyes open many moments later and drift to the end of the bed, I find Dante sitting there with the wedding book on his knee.

"Hey," I whisper.

He turns and smiles. "Hey. You feeling any better?"

I nod, keeping my head nestled in the soft pillows. "A lot better."

"Good," he whispers so tenderly my heart picks up speed. This man knows so much about me, the good, the bad and the ugly, and the gentle emotion in those words reflect just how I'm feeling right now. "I see you fancied a trip down memory lane?"

I grin. "Yeah. I thought it would be nice to look."

Closing the book, he puts it back in the box, not before wrapping it up nicely. He seems to be watching me like he can't decide what to say next, instead letting his eyes study the wardrobe where my dress for tonight is hanging up.

"I like your dress."

I smile, pleased with the bargain I snapped up. "Thanks. It's super sparkly and perfect for a birthday party."

Lincolnshire today is a permanent rain cloud, so as a precaution, I picked up a pretty black shawl to cover my bare shoulders. The party kicks off at seven which gives me just over five hours to prepare.

He nods. "Absolutely. I agree."

The sounds of floorboards drag our attention away from the dress to the doorway. Jennifer gives me a great load of evils when she steps in here, slicing her gaze over to Dante who appears to have grown three sizes bigger.