Chapter 7 - The Night Before Vegas

Clara's POV

"Clara, I got you some dumplings from your favourite Chinese eatery, come tuck in before dinner gets cold," Dorris said from the kitchen of our apartment upon hearing me entering the apartment.

Dumpling just reminds me of that sickening fat idiot at work - Jerald. I don't know what came over me at that instance, but I just took up the chopsticks and chomped one dumpling after another in my mouth like they were my arch enemy. When Dorris saw me doing that, she gave me a puzzled look, "Hey, slow down... What's with you and the dumplings? Don't finish up on that so soon, we still have to save some for the rest."

"The rest?" I stopped chomping away and asked Dorris with a mouthful of dumplings in my mouth. Before Dorris could answer me, the doorbell to our apartment rang. "Ah, there they are!" Dorris ran and opened the door upon hearing the doorbell.

To my surprise, it was Daniel, Fiona and William at the door! They were my best buddies since high school, and our friendship hasn't changed a single bit ever since we parted ways from college. I thank god for that. We hugged each other as I got overwhelmed with joy upon seeing them.

I looked at Dorris and smiled at her, I knew it was her who planned for this to cheer me up from the unhappy episode that I had with Sam last night.

Daniel was the first one that got lured to the kitchen by the aromatic scent of the food in the dining area. "Everyone, get out of the way, I'm here for the food!" Daniel exclaimed as he made his way sniffing to the dining area like a hound dog. We all cracked up at Daniel, he's the joker as always. Fiona slapped his back to remind him of his behaviour as she chuckled, "Daniel..." William just shook his head and laughed along too.

We spent the night feasting and singing karaoke of the early 2000s songs that we used to hear when were in high school, songs by Simple Plan, Green Day, All American Rejects, Avirl Lavigne, etc.

Time flies with this bunch of people who brings me happiness. After Dorris and I sent them out, I begin to pack my luggage for my staycation at Las Vegas tomorrow.

Dorris knocked on my door and asked me with a concerned look, "Are you sure you're going to do this? You sure you don't want me to come along with you?"

"Don't worry, I would love to have some time alone to sort out my thinking and recharge myself with this trip," I laid my hand on Dorris's shoulder, reassuring her.

As much as I would like Dorris to join me for this trip, I couldn't trouble her to take time off her hectic work as a chemical engineer. Dorris was in the same plight as me, we were both forced to study something we would never grow an interest for and we both ended up working for a job that is against our wish.

The next day, Dorris drove me to the airport. Before I left for Vegas, she hugged me tightly and repeated her reminders to me, "Take care and enjoy yourself, make sure you drop me a text when you reached Vegas ok?"

I know Dorris is still worried about me from the looks of her face, so I had to put on a fake strong front as we waved goodbye to each other.

"Ok, Vegas, here I come..." I gave myself a final boost of reassurance as I sat on the plane.