Chapter 35 - Chadorris

Chad's POV

I flew to L.A. the next day to visit ChemTech corporation for an on-site assessment before advising Luciano to invest in this company. Touching down on L.A. reminds me of one unforgettable person - Dorris.

"Mr. Hunter, welcome to ChemTech. We've arranged a tour of our company for you, please follow me," ChemTech representative greeted me at the entrance.

I was ushered through a well-curated tour of the company, but that wasn't what I was looking out for, it bored me to tears as they fed me with all that statistics. What I really want is what's behind that facade - the reality on the running of the company.

"Mr. Hunter, I hope you're impressed with our company feat in the chemical engineering industry," The representative walked up to me with a confident stance.

"Thank you for the well-elaborated tour. I'm definitely impressed. If you may excuse me, I would like to use the washroom," I dropped an excuse to take a tour of the company on my own accord.

I managed to snoop around the company to witness its operation. My attention was drawn to a commotion going on in one of the laboratories.

"Woah! Careful, you old piece of shit! I'm going to fire you if you screw this up one more time!" A beefy man yelled at an old man who was scramming on the floor, picking up the goods that fell off from the trolley. I walked over and saw a familiar lady figure who was helping the old man to pick up the goods. Upon a closer look, I realised she was Dorris!

She stood up and stared straight into that man's eyes, "Don't you dare call him nasty names! You better start showing him some respect, or else I'll report you to HR for mistreating your subordinates."

The beefy man swallowed a lump down his throat with disdain, "Alright, I won't, let's get back to work."

"You better be!" Dorris snapped back at him and then she went back to continue her work with the machine in front of her.

She never fails to impress me once again.

Dorris's POV

Phew...Just my day... First, this machine is giving me a problem, next this scumbag just had to bully someone in front of me.

I glued my eyes at the equation on the screen while trying to rack my brain for an answer to make this machine work.

Just when I was so caught up in my thoughts, a familiar voice rang by my ear and that jolted me up, "You know it's not that hard right?"

I turned my face to the right and my lips accidentally brushed across a man's cheeks, I was immediately taken aback by the warmth of his skin against my lips. I took a step back and realised he was none other than that idiot who kidnapped me - Chad Hunter!

My alertness immediately stepped up, "Chad? What are you doing here?!"

He started typing on the keyboard of the machine and replied me nonchalantly, "Relax... I'm here for an on-site assessment for Carlos's investment."

The name "Carlos" reminded me of Clara being held captive by them, and that spurred the anger in me. Besides, what is he doing to my machine?!

"Hey! Stop! What are you doing to my machine?!" I yelled at him frantically.

Surprisingly, the machine started working. I gasped in disbelief, "How did you do it?"

He smirked and claimed, "I'm a genius after all."

I rolled my eyes at his response, perhaps it was just lucky that he punched something right on the keyboard.

I looked around for my pencil to note down the time of the machine's recovery, but I couldn't find it at all. Then he tugged my hair and my locks came tumbling down over my shoulder. I was annoyed and was about to snap at him when he flashed a pencil in front of my face, "Looking for this? It was up at your hair all this while."

I was embarrassed by my forgetfulness for a moment, and then I reclaimed my composure and snatched the pencil from his hand.

"Well, Thank You," I said curtly.

Then I immediately directed my attention back to the burning question I had in me, "How's Clara now? When can she be released from Carlos?"

He replied me in a nonchalant tone once again, "Don't worry, she is in very good hands. Luciano loves her, he is not going to harm her."

I scoffed at Chad's response, "He loves her? I don't see how holding someone in captive, denying her freedom, is a way of loving."

Chad wanted to rebut me but he couldn't when one of our executives came into the laboratory looking for him and he didn't seem happy about Chad being here, "There you are, we've been looking for you, Mr. Hunter."

Chad broke into a wide smile and said casually, "Sorry about it, this is a big place and I'm not really good with places. I lost my way and this lovely lady was about to help me out. I'm glad you came."

Even though he was a smooth-talker, but I bet he was lying. There is just something shady about him.