Chapter 20 - 7 years ago (3)

Clara's POV

Ever since the day I knew Rico, he brought a burst of vibrant colours to my monochromatic life.

Sometimes when he chanced upon me at the school's library, he would spend time catching up with me, he even offered to help me out with my homework when I encountered problems with it.

I would steal glances at him at times and wonder, "How could someone be so smart, so handsome and most importantly, so kind." He was the first guy to ever treat me like a human being with respect and concern other than my father who passed away when I was young.

I fell head over heels with him, I harboured this major crush on him deep in my heart, but I never dared to confess to him about it because I was afraid of ruining this perfect friendship of ours.

I know my chances of being his girlfriend is way too low for me to risk it, he is a popular guy in our school that tonnes of girls are dying to be his girlfriend, especially after he joined the popular football team in our school. Rico is really good at football, in fact, he looked so dashing in every single throw and run on the field.

The cheerleaders wereconstantly all over him during every single match, even taking chances at himwhen he scored celebratory moments on the field. Veronica being the captain ofthe cheerleading team had every chance to get up close to him on the field,while I stood no chance at the bleachers playing trumpet in the awkwardly uglyuniform of the school's band. Every single time when Veronica laid her hands onhim, I was yelling out "You belong with me~!" in my heart just likethe lyrics in Taylor Swift - You Belong with Me.

I wanted to congratulate him personally whenever our school's team won the match but he was always surrounded by his fans. Well, I'm a nobody, after all, I guess it wouldn't matter to him whether I congratulated him or not. Besides, our school's band was always in a hurry to pack up the instruments and leave the field once the match ended.

Rico's POV

It's a pity that Clara and I hardly share the same timetable and classes. The longer I got to know her, the more I yearn to see her.

Sometimes I would deliberately take my time to the locker to check her out but those were really short moments that I could share with her. It's a bonus to me whenever I get to chance upon her in our school's library, I would gladly seize the opportunity to stay longer by her side by offering to help out with her homework.

I looked forward to every match on the field not only because of the scholarship that I was targeting on, but also because I knew she would be there on the bleachers with the school's band. I would steal glances at her from the field whenever possible even if it's from afar. She looked so adorable in our school's band uniform while blowing the trumpet.

I wish I had the chance to go up close to her and share my happiness from victory after every match, but she was always leaving in a haste along with the rest of her band mates.

However, this time round, I was adamant to make my first move come true. When our school won the last match of the football championship league, I quickly made my way to her before the crowd surrounds me. I snickered when I saw her struggling with the weight of the trumpet case as she walked down the stairs because she looked so cute. I hurried over to her and lifted up her trumpet case, "Need help?"

"Oh! Rico! Sorry, I was too clumsy..." She yelped at the sight of me and acted like she couldn't wait to run away from me. I didn't understand why and it bothers me because I like her a lot but I don't know how she feels toward me.