Chapter 23 - 7 years ago (6)

Clara's POV

"So is Cinderella ready for the magical night with her prince charming?" Dorris teased me as we dolled up for prom night together at my place.

"Stop teasing me...I'm already so nervous about tonight. Look at my hands, they're still shaky," I said as my voice trembled.

"Relax, everything is going to be fine, I've faith in Rico. You'll be in good hands," Dorris pats my shoulder to reassure me.

When the door bell rang, Dorris shrieked in excitement, "Your prince charming is finally here!" Then she hurriedly left for the door while butterflies in my stomach started to flutter as I trailed behind Dorris.

Dorris did a quick countdown to tease me before she opened the door, "Are you ready? 3, 2, 1!" I held my breath when Dorris flung open the door.

However, we were astonished to see the person standing in front of us wasn't Rico but Jake instead. He was in his prom suit with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. Before I could even ask Jake why he was here, words came racing out of Dorris's mouth, "Oh you're looking for Veronica? She isn't here. Bye."

Jake jammed his leg into the door before Dorris could slam the door on him, "Hold on! I'm not here for her, I'm here for Clara!"

"What did you just said?!" Dorris and I exclaimed in disbelief.

"I said I'm here to ask Clara out as my prom date," Jake pushed opened the door with an annoyed look.

I couldn't believe the words that came out from Jake's mouth, it was obvious that he was pulling a prank on me. Jake has always got his eyes on Veronica, it wouldn't make sense for him to pick me as his prom date. Besides, he barely to talk to me in school, he treated me almost like an invisible being, so there's definitely no way he would want me to be his prom date.

"Asking someone to be your prom date only at this juncture? Really?" Dorris rolled her eyes and continued to say, "No thank you, her prince charming is already on his way."

"I'm here for Clara, not for you, now get out of my way," Jake stared straight at Dorris as he said.

"Hold on a second, Jake, what's going on here?" I asked him as I ushered him out of the house. Dorris stood by the door with her arms folded.

"Didn't you hear what I just said?" Jake said with an annoyed look once again. It was obvious that he wasn't sincere and genuine about asking me to be his prom date. I stood in front of him being confused.

Suddenly, Jake's lips plunged down onto my lips when I was trying to figure out what was up to his sleeves. I blinked hard before realising what was happening and then I pushed him away with disgust. How could he pull such a prank on me?! That was my first kiss!

"Come on, honey, don't act like it's your first time doing this with me," Jake shrugged his shoulder as he said it.

"What?!" I exclaimed in disbelief at what was spewed out from Jake.

Rico's POV

"Sweetheart, have fun and remember to bring her home someday ok?" My mother wished me best of luck as I hopped into the car to pick up Clara.

"Alright, Thank You!" I yelled out as I began to drive out from our garage.

I looked over at the bouquet of cotton candy on the passenger seat and couldn't help beaming in a wide smile as it reminded me of her.

I decided to bring a bouquet of cotton candy instead of a bouquet of flowers for her because I happened to know that she love cotton candy when I bumped into her at the school's carnival.

I pulled over across the street from her house and grabbed the cotton candy bouquet that I couldn't wait to surprise her with.

Before this day came, I had numerous images in my head on how wonderful our night together would be. However, none of it was going to happen when an unexpected scene greeted me.

I saw Jake holding onto Clara as their lips sealed together. Then I heard Jake saying, "Come on, honey, don't act like it's your first time doing this with me."

What?! Clara has been kissing Jake behind my back?! So all this while I've been fooled by Clara? The kiss that they shared pierced through my heart cruelly. A mix of emotions stirred through my mind, I felt lost and betrayed.

I dropped the bouquet of cotton candy onto the floor and left for my car to prom without her.