Chapter 9 - Mystery Shopper

Clara's POV

I'm completely overwhelmed by what just happened within an instance that I still couldn't respond to it even after I entered the elevator with a man I barely knew.

I don't even know his name, I don't know why he is helping me and I don't know what's his agenda behind all these. Besides, the presidential suite in Carlos Hotel is ranked one of the most pricey and prestigious suites in the world, it would take a decade of my pay to even afford a night in it. Nobody is going to buy my story if I claimed that I had stayed in the presidential suite of Carlos Hotel, not even myself as I stood in the elevator.

There was this air of still silence and awkwardness between the both of us as the elevator climbed its way up to the highest level of the building. Many possibilities of the danger that I could set myself in with this man ran through my head during then, "Is he a rapist? Is he a scam? Have I been targeted by a serial murderer?"

I stole a quick glance at him, he looked calm while I looked like an entangled mess as I couldn't stop fiddling with my fingers when I was nervous.

I was so carried away with my wild thoughts that I didn't notice the elevator had reached the highest level until he called out to me with his deep velvety voice. I flustered upon realisation and hurried out of the elevator with my heads down as I didn't dare to look at him.

I trailed after him as he led the way. When I finally mustered the courage to look up and tell him that it was okay for me to check out of this hotel, a magnificent grandest view bestowed upon me. The suite was a penthouse that consists of three levels. The large windows of the suite stretched all the way from the top to the bottom, revealing the breathtaking view of Las Vegas. Then I heard the swishing sound of water as he led me to the lobby area of the suite, it came from an extremely beautiful romanic fountain made out of marble. I gasped at what I saw, it's unbelievable that they even had a fountain within the suite. My legs stood still as this whole luxurious feeds were too much for me to handle. He turned around when he realised I stopped following him and let out a whistle to call me over as he said, "Come on over, don't just stand there, this is only the tip of the iceberg."

"What? Only the tip of the iceberg? I'm so going to faint when I see the entire iceberg!" I thought to myself as I continued to follow him. His pace was fast, I couldn't even catch up with him at times when I got too absorbed with the viewing of the suite like a pumpkin tourist.

The entire suite contained 15 rooms, 5 en-suite bedrooms, 6 bathrooms and 3 terraces with a sweeping view of Las Vegas. The living spaces were grand with 24-foot-high ceilings, large windows and great architectural details. A private elevator connected all three floors, it even had music played in it. The kitchen was huge and fully equipped with expensive appliances, such as the double espresso machine that were embedded in the kitchen cabinetry. The refrigerator was fully stocked up with fresh ingredients, way more that what I had in my fridge back in my apartment with Dorris. The place had private swimming pool, a fully equipped gym, a library, a music room, a theatre room, etc.

I was speechless after he gave me a tour of the entire place, I felt like my rented apartment was a rat hole when compared to this place, even the bathroom here is bigger than my room in my rented apartment. This is ridiculous... The place is too much to cater to one person, I cannot accept to stay in this place as I felt I wasn't worthy of it.

"So... What do you think?" The man asked me. "I... I'm... so sorry... This place... is... is... too posh for.. for me to stay... in... I can't... can't stay here." I stuttered and headed for my luggage, as I got ready to leave this place.

He held back my arm and gave a perplexed look, "Are you serious??"

I took a deep breath and gathered the courage to reply him, "I'm really thankful for what you did just now to help me, but... But we barely know each other, I don't know why you're helping me this much, I just can't accept your kind offer."