Chapter 5: Date night

August

With one last comb through my hair, I walk out of the bathroom and grab my coat. Before I leave the house, I stop in front of Spence, who is trying to peacefully rest. Which was the perfect time to talk to him.

I bend down and rub his fur to get his attention. He faces me as I speak, "I'll stay with this one for more than two weeks, alright?"

He places his paw on my leg and I laugh, "Yeah, we both know that is not true." I hold my hand up and he hits it with his paw.

I laugh again, "Thanks for the high-paw. You get it? Because it's not a hand, but it's…" I trail off as he turns back to the television.

Standing up, I shake my head as I walk to the door, "I know what it is. You're just mad my humor is far more advanced than yours. Jealousy doesn't look good on you Spence."

I walk out of my apartment and lock the door behind me. After getting in the car, I checked the location Jody or Jada whatever her name was had given me for the restaurant and put it on the gps.

I met her when Robin's assistant had picked up the form the other day. In the car was Jada. She was good looking, so with a little flirting, I was able to get her number.

The restaurant was next to the coffee shop, so I arrived there soon. I adjust my shirt before going inside. My eyes scan over the tables of people and when I see her blond hair pushed in a ponytail and she turns around a little, I walk towards the table with a grin.

She smiles and I hold my hand out, "Good to see you again, Jody."

She laughs as she accepts my handshake and I sit down across from her. "It's Jada." She corrects

We order and talk about small things for about thirty minutes. She smiles and leans back in her seat a little.

"So what do you do for a living August?"

"I'm a basketball player. Just got drafted to the national basketball association. Aka the NBA." I smile proudly.

She laughs in return, and I frown in confusion.

"You're so funny, August!" She says and touches my arm.

I laugh, still confused. "What was funny about that?"

She laughs louder, "Oh my gosh! You're hilarious."

Oh

I had done this to tons of women and now that it was actually happening to me, I realised just how fucked up it was.

I frown and shake my head as she continues laughing. Why did I care anyway? Once I started letting people hurt me, I was going down the same road as I was five years ago. That didn't end well, as I ended up in the hospital with a slit wrist.

"And what do you do for a living, Jada?"

"I'm a wedding planner!" She takes a sip of her wine before continuing. "I work at Davis and Co. Have you heard of it? It's one of the most successful companies in San Jose."

Davis and Co. I know that name.

I bite my lip, trying to remember where I knew that name from. I had heard it repeatedly since I had to start working with Robin.

That's it

A grin slowly forms on my face as I start to remember where it's from. "You work for Robin?"

"Yep, do you know her?"

"Yeah, of course. We're the best of friends."

She smiles, believing my lie and I grin harder. "That is so cool! What's it like being friends with her? You know, she's not exactly the nicest person you know." She says and laughs again.

"Really?"

"Yep! I'll tell her all about tonight tomorrow. She's going to be just as surprised as me."

"Yeah, just don't believe a word she says about me, alright? She likes to play little games."

She nods and for the rest of dinner talks about working for Robin and other things I don't pay attention to.

At first I had decided this wasn't going to go any longer than tonight, but after hearing about this, I decided otherwise.

I'm going to date Jada just to make Robin mad. Payback for kicking me in the balls the other day. Petty? Yes. Did I care? Not even a little.

~~~

I scratch my head and laugh at the television as Marie and Damien talk to each other on the end of the couch.

Modern family is so underrated.

I am about to laugh again but jerk slightly when their door flies open. Heels click against their tile floor in the living room and in walks an angry Robin.

"Oh gosh, I fucking hate you!" She shouts, standing in front of the television.

I sit up and smile.

I see she found out.

Two days had already passed since the date with Jada, so I knew she was bound to find out soon.

"What did he do now?" Asks Damien.

She folds her arms. "Why? Why the hell are you going out with Jada?"

I grin and shrug, "I like her."

"She's one of my best employees, Foreman."

"A hard worker I see."

"Why can't you destroy someone else's heart?"

I smile, "She gives good head." I say and shrug again. 

Which was actually a lie, since I hadn't even taken her to my place. She told me she wanted until after marriage. That didn't matter though, we weren't going to make it that far, anyway. I had come to the conclusion that I didn't like her before dinner ended, so it wasn't because she wanted to wait.

She leans forward, her breasts on display, and I take a glance before looking at her.

"Oh, I swear if you hurt her I will fuck you up, Foreman. She's just gotten out of a serious relationship and I don't need you making her slack at work. Got it?"

"Of course not, darling. I would never." I touch her arm and she scowls before pushing my hand off of her and storming away.

I laugh and flop back on the couch. Marie and Damien shake their heads.

"You're an asshole man." Damien says and goes back to Marie.

I continue watching television for a while but become bored. I threw a water bottle at Damien, who was beginning to kiss Marie. Grabbing my jacket, I decide that is my ticket to leave.

People in love are disgusting.