Chapter 7: Fight

August

"Toto, I've got a joke. Want to hear?" I ask my dog, putting my tank top on as I walk into the living room.

I laugh and kneel to his level on the couch. "Of course you do." I held his paw, trying to hold In my laugh, "Why did the skeleton go to the party alone?"

A laugh escapes my lips as I wait for him to respond. I shake my head when he takes too long.

"Because he had nobody to go with!"

I clap my hands in laughter and stand up as Toto looks at me like I'm a loon. Once I've finally calmed down, I walk to the door with my gym bag. "I'll see you when I get home, man." I say before closing the door behind me.

I knew Robin wasn't going to be at the gym since she only got there after five in the afternoon. Which meant I was going to actually have to work out most of the time instead of bullying her.

I arrive at the gym around thirty minutes after leaving the house. Since it was only nine, I had about three hours before I needed to go back home and work on whatever it was Robin told me to do for Marie and Damien's wedding.

I smile as I get on the treadmill. Every time I tried to get it, Robin always beat me to it and bragged about it now. But now I got it and I was proud.

"Victory is mine!" I shout, putting my earphones in.

Today was leg day, so I worked out for about two hours listening to my playlist, 'Push it.'  As I am taking a break I get a phone call from Richy's school. Before I get a chance to flirt with his principal, she tells me I'm one of his guardians and she needs me and his mom to come.

I get my bag and call his mom as I get in the car. She answers as I start the car.

"Hey, Ms. Jenkins, did you hea-"

"I'm on my way to his school right now." She replies,

"I'll see you there then."

She hangs up quickly and I begin wondering what Richy has done. I was almost positive it was because of another fight. Three months ago, after his birthday, he asked me to teach him how to fight because he was getting bullied at school. I've been teaching him every other week and for the past two weeks, he's been getting in more fights than he has ever had.

The first time he got into one, his mom was furious that I was teaching him that. But she found out he was getting bullied and calmed down.

Finally reaching his school, I walk in the office and a bald man directs me to the principal's office where I find Ms. Jenkins and Richy sitting next to each other. The principal sat across from them with a glare.

I smile at the blond haired principal and shake her hand as I sit next to Richy. "August." I say, and she smiles back.

She clears her throat before speaking, "As you both probably already know, Richard has been a bit aggressive these past two weeks."

I frown, "And what about the kids that bully him? Or does that not matter?"

"I understand that, Mr. Foreman, but the minute we found out who the bullies were, they were immediately suspended. Richard has been picking fights with random students and it's becoming a problem. "

Oh

Ms. Jenkins glares at Richy and I hold back my laugh as he scratches his head and bites his nails.

"I don't know where he got this kind of behavior from but it will be dealt with." She says and I nod.

"Richard is not like this. I will make sure to talk to him." I say and Richy looks at me in betrayal.

I cover my mouth to cover my laugh for the next fifteen minutes as Ms. Jenkins and the principal speak.

Once they are done, we all walk back to my car in silence. As soon as we are all inside, I begin laughing and Ms. Jenkins joins in as Richy stares at us in confusion.

She turns to him laughing, "I'm not going to hit you, boy!" she says and Richy holds his heart, exhaling a relieved breath.

"Mama, you scared the shit out of me."

Her facial expression turns serious, and she hits his head, "What'd I tell you about cursing around me?"

Richy rubs his head, "Sorry mama da-" she hits his head again before he can finish.

I smile and face him as I start the car. "Did you win?"

He grins, "You already know, man."

Ms. Jenkins smiles and I shake his hand, "Atta boy!"

As I begin driving, Ms. Jenkins, who is in the front, sets her purse down. "Where are we going? I've got to get back to work soon and you k-"

"Relax woman. Just getting a little ice cream."

"Good."

"And some new shoes." I mumble.

She turns to me with a scowl and hits my head the same way she did Richy. "No, I told you about spending money on us, August."

For some reason, Ms. Jenkins hated when I tried to buy anything for her or help her with anything. Her husband would always joke about it to me and now I finally understand what he's talking about.

"Come on, ma! Please!" Richard begs, leaning forward from the backseat.

"No. This is the third time this month you've bought him shoes."

I touch her shoulder and grin, "Yeah, come on, sugar. Let me get the boy some shoes."

She rolls her eyes and takes my hand off her shoulder. "Don't try that shit you do with them girls. I know your tricks. "

"Don't be flirting with my mom, man."

I glanced at him, "You want the shoes or not, Richy?"

He smiles and turns to his mom, "Give my guy a chance, ma. Aye, he knows how to cook too."

She shakes her head and I smirk, "I'll throw in a pair of heels for you too, gorgeous."

She takes a minute to respond, and I know I've convinced her. After a moment she replies, "Alright fine. But this is the last pair and I mean it."

Richy kisses her check and unlocks the door as I stop the car at the ice cream shop.

"Thank you!" He says as we all get out.

She rolls her eyes, "Whatever." I see a small smile form on her face at Richy's excitement.

We go inside the ice cream shop and Ms. Jenkins and Richy both order vanilla ice cream. After a moment I order Strawberry and paid for it all.

Sitting at the table, Ms. Jenkins asks about Robin, who I mentioned sometimes. I tell her about having to work with her and when she jokes saying we would make a good couple, I pretend to puke.

Once they have finished, I take Ms. Jenkins back to work and Richy and I go to the mall. He picks out a pair of red and black Nikes and red heels for his mom. We hung out for a few hours until I took him back home.

When I walk in the house, Totò is sleeping on the couch and I sigh. I had a great joke I was going to tell him.

I sit on the couch next to him and he moves closer. I roll my eyes and move him over, but he gets right back on me. I sit back and decide to let him stay.

You're lucky you're somewhat cute.