Chapter 29: I Deserve That

Robin

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

What absolute bullshit. Words hurt. I'd much rather have a broken bone than this shitty broken heart.

I smash the glass cup with the bat, making Marie screech. She holds a hand out and adjusts her safety glasses. "Robin, are you sure you're alright?" She shouts as I smash another piece of glass.

"Just peachy. Couldn't be better."

"Really? You seem a bit angry."

I face her with a fake smile, lifting the bat with me. She backs up. "Do I? Do I seem angry, Marie?"

She nods and steps further back as I come closer. "Yes you do, honey. Is it about Aug-"

I point the bat at her. "Finish that sentence so I can fracture your ribs with this bat, Marie. I dare you."

Her eyes widen and she holds her hands out. "Robin, I need you to calm down, sweetheart. It's-"

My blood boils at that nickname. I turn away and pick up a mug. I smash it on the ground, making Marie flinch and screech loudly. "Do not call me that."

"Robin-"

"This is a rage room, Marie." I toss the bat in her direction. It lands on the ground with a loud thud. "Start raging."

She shakes her head. "I'm here for you, Robin. Not me."

I roll my eyes. At this point I was so furious, I couldn't care less what came out of my mouth. "You've been a shitty friend ever since you met Damien. Seriously, who sticks up for a man that cheated on their own best friend, not once, not twice, but three times?"

Her mouth goes agape and her face falls. After a moment she says, "I didn't mean it like that-"

"I can't come to you about anything anymore. Everything is always about Marie. Marie this, Marie that. Fuck Marie!" I yell and throw a glass plate at the wall.

She holds her heart. "I had no idea. Robin, I'm so sorry."

I shake my head and laugh bitterly. "God, I am so sick of that word! Everyone is always apologizing to me, yet no one actually means it."

"But I am sorry, Robin. Truly." She steps closer. "I'll be a better friend. I promise."

"You really want to be a better friend, Marie?"

"Yes."

"Pick up the bat and destroy this room with me."

She smiles and picks up the bat. Marie stands on the side of me and I fix her glasses and gloves. I pick up a stack of plates and smash the first one on the ground. Marie follows suit. Standing over a glass table, she smashes the middle of it with the bat and backs up with a squeal. "Holy cow, that felt good!"

She continues to smash the table as I throw plates across the room. After ten minutes, we switch. I hit the bat against the wall, knowing it won't break. With every hit, I imagine his stupid face. His stupid hands trailing down my body. His stupid lips kissing my neck. His stupid arms holding me.

I don't stop until I feel my arms give out. I drop the bat in defeat and as I am about to sit down, I feel Marie's hands on my back. "You can't sit down, sweetie, there's glass."

I move the hair out of my face. "Right."

I get out of her hold and lean against the wall. Closing my eyes, I exhale a deep breath. Marie touches my arm. "What do you need?"

I smile. The first one I've had since that day, which was four days ago. "A drink."

I open my eyes as she smiles and yanks my arm. "To the bar!"