21. Broken Brain

21. Broken Brain

Liam.

"What do you mean you're my Father?" Asked Max, blue eyes melting into tear-shapes. "I mean... I used to be with your Mother. Danielle," I clarified, still crouched down beside my son, "We were going to get married, but then I had to leave."

"Your doughnut and cocoa," Said a teenage bakery employee, placing the items on top of the glass display beside my coffee. Max stared at me for a few moments, obviously debating whether I was telling the truth or not. I watched his widened eyes fill with tears. "Max, I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset-"

I was cut off by Max throwing his little arms around me. He instantly let out sobs. Loud, pained, but happy sobs. "I-I can't b-believe I have a father." Max hiccupped, as tears streamed down his cheeks and dripped onto my plaid shirt. Max hugged me tightly, not letting me go for the next minute.

"Max," I said, gently peeling him off me. "You look like Madison," Max told me, tears still rolling down his pink cheeks. "Are you Madison's Daddy too?"

I nodded. "Yes I am. I'm Megan's Daddy too." Again, Max stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me. The hug lasted about twenty seconds, before he released me. "Are you gonna come home with me? Mum is just making some yummy dinner." Said Max, eyes shining with excitement and happiness. Well, maybe they're just shining because of the tears.

"I'm sorry Max, but I think you miss-understood..." I said, shaking my head no. "Finally, a daddy," Said Max, looking at my eyes, "You can give me piggy-back rides! Oh, I have another idea! You can get married to Mum again! Because now you don't have to leave."

"Max-"

"Next week there is a bring your Daddy to school day! I can take you and show you off to my class. Me and Madison would have to share you, but that's okay," Max spewed words. "Max, you're not letting me explain." I finally managed to stop Max from talking.

"What do you have to explain?" Asked Max, grinning. This boy- my son- looked at me with so much love. We'd met just minutes earlier, yet he was already welcoming me into his family with open arms.

"Max, I'm not coming home with you," I said, shaking my head no. "Wait a second," Said Max, grin slowly fading, "What do you mean you're not coming home with me? You're my Daddy. You and Mummy can get married now. I would be okay with it if you two wanted to get married."

"Your Mummy stopped loving me," I told Max, not quite sure how to explain the situation. "Did you stop loving Mummy?" Asked Max, lip beginning to quiver. "How about we go sit down at a table, and we can talk?" I suggested, realizing that we were in the way of the other customers.

Max slowly nodded, looking down at his boots. I stood up, and picked up Max's doughnut and cocoa and my coffee. Max led me to a table by the window, and sat down. I passed Max his cocoa and doughnut, then sat down and put my coffee on the table in front of me.

It was quiet for the next few moments. Max stared out the window, while I awkwardly looked around the bakery. Max would smile whenever a family would walk past. This boy needs a Father. A few moments later, he turned to look me in the eyes. He grabbed his hot-chocolate and took a deep breath.

"So did you stop loving Mummy?" Max re-asked, lifting the hot cocoa to his lips. "No, I didn't." I replied honestly. I wrapped my fingers around the warm coffee-to-go-cup and lifted it to my lips. "Then why didn't you get married?" Asked Max, putting the cocoa down and picking up the doughnut.

"Because. Someone I know didn't want me to marry your Mummy. I had to do something important." I replied quietly. "What did you have to do?" Asked Max, taking a large bite of the doughnut. "I had to leave your Mummy and be with a girl named Sophia."

"But Mummy is awesome," Max interjected. "Yes, your Mummy is awesome." I agreed. "Then why didn't you just stay with Mummy?" He questioned, as if that would be easy.

"Max, it wasn't that simple. This must be confusing for you to understand..." I trailed off, trying to decide what to say next. "If I didn't leave your Mummy to be with Sophia, I would not get to be in my band anymore with your Uncle Louis, Uncle Niall, Uncle Harry and Uncle Zayn." I explained.

"So," Said Max, sounding defeated. "You chose my uncles over me?"

Danielle.

"Don't worry Danielle, it sounds like Megan just has the flu. There's nothing to worry about." Eleanor tried to assure me. I let out a deep breath, "Are you sure?" My Internet was being really slow, so I called Eleanor. She Googled Megan's symptoms to try and find out what is wrong with her.

"I'm sure, Danielle."

I let out a deep breath. I just have to make myself believe that Megan is okay. It just the flu. "What do you and the kids do today?" I asked, trying to change the topic. "I tried to teach them the alphabet. I want them to be prepared for pre-school. They always laugh so hard when we reach the letter p. They have such three-and-a half-year-old-humour." Eleanor laughed. "They're adorable." I laughed along with her.

"Wanna come over with Cameron and Emily for dinner? Max is just at the bakery but he'll be home within the hour." I asked Eleanor. "I don't think it'd be the best idea to come over while Megan has the flu," Eleanor stated, chuckling. "I guess you're right." I agreed, letting out a small laugh.

"Well you and the kids should come over when Meg is feeling better. We haven't seen each other in quite awhile. You could bring Louis too, but he might get bored after an hour or two."

"For sure." Eleanor agreed. "Maybe we could-"

A scream from Eleanor's end of the call interrupted my sentence. The screams were substituted with loud cries after a few seconds. "Ronnie! I told you not to hang off the bunk-bed!" I heard Eleanor yell, voice expressing mostly sympathy and minimal frustration.

"But Mum, he was being a monkey!" Emily's sweet voice explained. "And I'm being a hippo! See! Huwwwwaaaah!" Emily made her voice deep and man-like. "That's nice, Em. Here, take the phone and talk to Aunt Danielle while I take care of Cameron." Said Eleanor. "Okay!" Emily replied.

I could hear some static and muffling while the phone was being passed over. "Hullo?" Asked an innocent little voice. "Hi Emily, how are you?" I asked, smiling. "I'm good. But Cameron fell off the bunk-bed." Emily explained, voice sounding as if she would be shrugging. "Uh-0h. That isn't good." I said.

"No, it's not good at all. He could have broken his brain." Emily explained, voice very concerned. "That would be horrible," I agreed with mini-Eleanor.

She looks like Eleanor, she acts like Eleanor, she talks like Eleanor, and she likes & hates the same things Eleanor likes and hates... It's almost creepy.

"Can Madison sleep over at my house?" Asked Emily, voice hopeful. "Not tonight, lovey. There's a flu bug going around our house and I don't want you to get sick."

"Oh, okay." Emily sighed. "Maybe you two can play on Webkinz world together?" I suggested. "Want me to give Madison the phone? You guys can talk if you want." I asked Em. "Yes please!" Emily shrieked. I laughed, "Okay. I'll bring her the phone."

I walked down the hall to Madison's room, and lightly knocked on the door. "Hello?" Her voice called. "The phones for you." I said, pushing the door open and peeking inside. "Thanks!" Said Madison, snatching the phone from my hand and pushing the door closed. I guess she was eager to talk to Emily.

I walked back out to the living room/ kitchen, and resumed the making of dinner. I heard light snoring from the sofa, telling me that Megan had fallen asleep. I hope she's okay.

For the next 10 minutes I cut vegetables, stirred soup and made juice. Just as I was finishing setting the table, I heard the front door open. "Hey Max," I said, not turning around as I placed a spoon with each bowl. "Hi Mum," He said, voice quavering with nervousness. I heard the front door slam shut. "Are you okay, bud?" I asked, turning around to see my son.

I quietly gasped, not expecting to see the person who stood in my doorway. "Liam?"

Hello my Bananaminions
QOTD: Will shit go down? What will Danielle and Liam say
to each other?
Picture is the beautiful little Emily.
It is September in the story.
Max & Mads just turned 5.
Megan, Em, Cameron all turned 3 that year.
-A xoxo