Chapter 20: New Beginnings

Hey everyone! I'm so unbelievably sorry it's taken me forever and a day to update. My school schedule this semester was absolutely and completely insane to say the least. I took an English course and my writing has dramatically improved. I re-read my story and I don't feel like it's my strongest work, so from here on out my writing style and technique will be heavily improved! I hope it's easier and more enjoyable to read!

Heart rate increasing, I cautiously take in my surroundings. Nothing was familiar. As I look around the room, I notice my purse, keys, and phone were on the chair near the door; clothes neatly folded next to them. Wait, my dress? I look down my body realizing I'm in a huge oversized green shirt. It smelled like him.

He must have seen my undressed.... Oh my god...

I creep towards the door, and as I inch my way closer, I hear the sound of kitchen pans clanking on a stove while dishes being placed on a table.  I silently creaked the door open, noticing a very tall man with dark hair at the stove. I knew exactly who he was. James. Shirtless.

Oh dear lord....

.... Wait, he cooks?

He was effortlessly flipping the contents of the pan around, with dull top 40's radio playing in the background. Taylor Swift "Blank Space" If I'm not mistaken. The room was warm, filled with the aroma of eggs and grease. The light coming in from the large windows accentuated the toned muscles on his back, flexing slightly as he moved around to prepare the meal.

I was about to open the door but I realized it would be my luck to have insane bed head, morning breath, dried drool on the side of my face, and under eye circles. I don't know how I got here last night but I can already tell I didn't sleep well. I looked around the room, letting out a silent sigh of relief noticing there was a door with light coming through the bottom. YES! A bathroom!

I silently tip toe after grabbing my purse, making sure not to make a sound. I open the door, and examined myself in the mirror. Yikes. I looked pretty rough. I try to make a game plan about how to fix this hot mess going on. I scanned the sink. This must be a guest bathroom. Spotless and no sign anyone has marked their territory with toiletries.

I decide to open the drawers, surely there must be something I can work with. After a few empty disappointments, I hit the jackpot. A drawer full of travel sized everything. Thank you jesus.

Everything was neatly organized in rows. I take a mini mouth wash first, swirling the minty blue liquid around to eradicate any raunchy aftertaste. No toothbrush so this will have to do.

With fresh breath I'm already feeling more alive. Now for hair. My stomach grumbled and I realized I didn't have time for anything remotely glamourous, so a messy bun it is.

Okay, face. I checked my purse and thankfully I brought my makeup essentials. I wiped my face with a wipe, put on some concealer under my eyes and dull areas. Lightly added some powder with a light coat of mascara. I looked clean, fresh, and "natural". Somewhat ready to face James and avoid an awkward conversation without looking like a hobo.