Chapter 12: Calm Down James...

The night was boring on my part. Following James’ orders was easy enough. I sat in the corner watching everyone on the dance floor. I caught James a few times, mostly talking with other business men about god knows what. I noticed a few other women whispering and looking in my direction. Yes people I have arrived with the James Fitzgerald, staring some more will definitely help. 

After a while my ass was getting numb from sitting so long, and instead of Jazz music they started playing newer stuff. They played “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars and I had to dance. This was my song. I grab my glass and make my way to the dance floor, moving my body to the beat, when an old lady came up to me.

 “Girl look at you! I remember when I could move like that.” She smiled as she admired my figure. I could tell this lady used to be a lot of fun. 

“I bet you still got some moves! Show me!” I asked her, as she blushed and giggled like a school girl. 

“Oh honey, it’s been years…” I grabbed her hand and she let out a big laugh. I pulled her to the middle of the dance floor, my body slightly buzzing from the champagne. 

This woman was hilarious! Her smile brightened up the whole room. She was having the time of her life as we danced to the beat, gaining a crowd around us. After the song ended we both gave everyone a bow, and I clapped along with everyone as they chanted her name. “Martha! Martha! Martha!” 

I was also having a great time until I felt someone pull me to the side. 

“What the fuck what that?!” James hissed at me.

That was me giving an old lady an opportunity to feel young again grumpy pants. I bet she hasn’t smiled that much in 2 decades.” I boasted, giving him an arrogant smirk. I was feeling extra sassy with some alcohol in my system. 

“I swear to god… Look, just sit down over there okay? Try not to bring anymore attention to yourself.” And with that, he walked off. 

Fine. Whatever you say boss. 

I found a table and took a seat, while getting out my phone to check my Instagram when I noticed someone sat down beside me. He was very attractive. Dirty blonde hair, green eyes, and looking very sharp in his black suit. 

“I don’t think we’ve met? My name is Alex.” 

I smiled. “Hi! I’m Carmen.” 

“I saw you dancing out there, I thought I would come introduce myself.” He replied with a smile. Wow, his teeth were perfect. 

“So, what brings you here?” He asked. 

“Oh, I’m James Fitzgerald’s new assistant. I’m just here to tag along I suppose.” 

“Oh… I see…” the tone in Alex’s voice was not a good one. He sounded worried. 

Alex could tell I was curious because my confused look must have given it away. 

“It’s just… I… it’s none of my business. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought it up.” Alex replied looking nervous. 

“Well you gotta tell me now, you can’t leave me hanging like that!” Giggling, trying to lighten the mood so he wouldn’t feel so pressured to keep it a secret. 

“Just… be careful alright? He’s known to-“ 

Suddenly a strong hand meet’s Alex’s shoulder, causing him to jump. 

“Alex… do you mind giving us a minute please?” 

There was James. Standing there, looking absolutely furious. 

Oh shit.