Chapter 22: The List

My weightless steps to the elevators felt like floating in a daze of euphoria. It's been so long since a man has actually taken care of me, and made sure I felt safe. Sure, the man responsible for my giddiness was bipolar and unpredictable, but regardless, I felt protected. I felt.... wanted.... desired.... 

Carmen, these feelings are too strong for someone who is just a "friend" 

My conscious was right. I was getting in way too deep, but I can't ignore how he makes me feel. I can't just walk away from James, pretend that he didn't bring me back to life when we kissed, and totally flipped my world upside down within days. He's completely unforeseeable, but maybe that's what my vanilla, boring life needed.... right?

I find myself entering the elevator, whizzing down the floors until the doors ding and I can see the lobby as the doors slowly open. I also see that woman who was in James' room. 

Bloody hell. Here we go. 

I try to ignore her and walk past, eager to get home and ignore this potentially bad situation. That is, until she steps right in front of me, permitting me to walk any further. 

"You. What are you doing with James." She asks, completely flat. 

Who is this bitch? His mother? 

"He's a friend, and I need to be on my way." With that, I side stepped and headed straight for the doors. My heart is racing. I hate confrontation. I hate catty fights. I hate bitches.

"Stay away from him darling. I know what's best for you. Trust me." She says with a flare of attitude that would send goosebumps up your body. I try my best to walk away with finesse, keeping my external composure rock solid despite the fact those words stung like a thousand bees in my stomach. 

What is she trying to protect me from? Is she just being possessive or is my gut instinct right that I should run away from him and never look back while I still have the chance? 

I see his car out front, and let myself into the backseat, along with a familiar back of someones head in the drivers side. 

"Hello Willy, thank you for the ride home. I hope it's not a burden on your schedule." 

He turns around, his grey eyes twinkling and a polite smile on his wrinkled face. 

"Not a worry miss, my job is to make sure anyone in my backseat is getting from A to B safely." 

He turns back around and pulls out into heavy traffic, leaving me with some time to think about what to do. Time to go old school, I need to make a "Pro's" and "Con's" list about James Fitzgerald to see what I'm risking to keep him around, and what I'm saving to let him go.