Chapter 17 - It's A Trap

After James left, I closed the door, and headed for my bed. Plopping down on my mattress, staring at the ceiling, I am trying to piece together what exactly happened tonight.  

Let’s see Carmen, your boss showed up drunk late at night at your apartment, he has strong enough feelings for you that he’s an “emotional wreck” ever since you left, and OH! you made out with him on your couch!

I groan. Great. What now? If things were complicated between us before, it’s reached a whole new level as of tonight.

I wash my face and get ready for bed, hoping maybe another day at work will help keep my mind off things.

Work was busier than usual today. I was sent on many different quests to stop by different photography studios downtown to pick up some paperwork and drop off finished edits.

As I’m about to leave my office for my last trip of the day, my boss, Greg, calls me over.

“Carmen, can I have a word with you for a second please?” My heart sinks a little, hearing that always makes me think I’ve done something wrong.

I approach him quickly, acting normal. “Yes?”

“I just received an offer from upstate, it’s huge…a partnership deal might be in the works that will quadruple our revenue. It’s very important, so on your way home, please pick up the contract and bring it back here ASAP, okay? You might be a little late, but you’ll be clocked for overtime, so don’t worry.”

I politely smile, and nod. “Sure thing, I’ll get on that right now. What’s the address?”

Greg whips out his gigantic smartphone. Technically it should be a tablet at the size of the thing. “Lets see…346 Parker Drive, 35th street… 20th floor.”

“Alright, I’m off, see you tomorrow Greg!”

I grab my things, head to my car, and plug in the address in my phone.

This is huge Carmen, don’t mess this up.

I arrive at the destination, eyeing the building. It was very intimidating.  Huge, modern, luxurious. This place screamed money.

I closed my car door when a valet shows up. Really? Is that honestly necessary? A polite young man takes my keys as I walk inside the lobby. The interior matched the exterior. Clean, sleek, edgy but conservative. Their interior designer needs a raise.

I make my way to the front desk. “Hi! I’m Carmen Andrews for PhotOnyx. My boss Greg sent me.”

Another young man behind the desk gives me a smile, and grabs for his desk phone. “Hold on one second miss.” After punching a few numbers, he speaks in the phone. “She’s here for the contract…Yes…PhotOnyx…Ok… Yes… I’ll send her right up.”

“Okay Ms. Andrews, your elevators are on your right, and you’ll go to floor 20.” I walk towards the elevators, and step in. I press the 20 button, seeing that it’s the highest floor of this building. Greg wasn’t kidding, this deal must be huge if I’m about to see the boss at the very top.

I am whizzed up in record time. The doors ding as I am greeted with another lobby, except this was much nicer than the one downstairs. I walk toward another desk, covered with cream marble with gold detail. Shit, this thing probably cost more than my apartment’s rent for a year. I am greeted by a stunning blonde with huge fake tits busting out of her button up shirt.

“Hi, um, Carmen Andrews for PhotOnyx? I was sent to pick up a cont-“

“On your left. He’s expecting you.”

I smile politely at her, regardless of her bitter response.

I enter the office realizing the room was empty. I quietly stroll around taking in my surroundings. It was about 6:00 pm, the city was filled with warm reds, oranges, and yellows from the sunset on the coast. It illuminated the room beautifully, making me feel like I was in a dream.

I inch closer to the enormous window, when I hear the door open. I turn around, staring at the man who promised me I would see more of him. I knew this was coming. I just can’t believe I fell for it.